Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My fridge makes a gurgling sound when I turn it off or un-plug

Customer Question

My fridge makes a gurgling sound when I turn it off or un-plug it, so I think there IS freon or coolant in the system, however; there is NO frost on the coils and it does NOT keep foods cold nor ice cream frozen. Is there a repair to the condenser, compressor or other component that I can perform at home?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX,X XXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

the frost would be on the coils inside the freezer in the back behind the food. you will need to remove the panel behind the food thats where the frost should be. do you have a model # ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are several series of numbers on the service/wiring diagram on the rear. I will list all of them in the order in which they appear:
042159 012992

86868
P1116903W L

XXXXXXXXXX 74
There are bar codes above each series of numbers. The Model Year is 1989.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I removed the cover plate at the back of the freezer compartment and there IS frost on a section of the coil. This frost covers four (4) inches of the upper leg/length of the coil.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay you do have a freon issue, unfortunately you cant repair this yourself, this has to be done by an HVAC trained technician, you have a leak which he would have to find by vacuuming down the system and adding nitrogen to find the leak, then it needs to be repaired before he can legally recharge the system with Freon, if the leak is in the evaporator coils itself the coils would have to be replaced because these are aluminum and cannot be soldered because they are too thin they just melt, it may be time to replace your refrigerator unfortunately, this job could run from $300-$400 so it's not cost effective to repair this, I hope this information is useful, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since Freon does NOT dissapate, wouldn't there be a puddle on the floor? And since the system is under pressure when operating, wouldn't/shouldn't I hear a hissing sound.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
No not necessarily, the Freon is compressed and turn into a gas through the drier assembly when it reaches the coils it is a gas form, and a small leak you wouldn't necessarily here it hissing, if it was a larger leak you probably would've heard it but it would probably be out of Freon completely and there wouldn't be any Frost on the coils, the Freon would be gone completely, you definitely need a technician that is licensed in Freon recovery by law, it's a $50,000 fine two release Freon into the atmosphere, not by accident or by a leak but if you attempt this yourself you could get into real big trouble and if you're not licensed you cannot buy the equipment you need to do the job anyway not to mention you would need to know what to do which takes many years to learn, I wish I had better news but unfortunately this is what's going on, thanks very best wishes, Bryan