John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have an Amana BX21VW bottom mount fridge and both compartments

I have an Amana BX21VW bottom mount fridge and both compartments have been too warm for a couple of weeks. I just took off the interior back of the freezer and the fins are nearly completely frosted up. Where should I begin? Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

HI im John i will help you with the problem.

Open the freezer door and reach in to the back panel an you feel frost on that panel please.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the back panel was covered with frost. I already have that panel removed. The fins are covered with ice and frost.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Remove the bottom front kick plater you will see this timer on the right turn the small cog on the timer slowly till it kicks off then wait 15 min to see if the frost starts to melt if it does replace this defrost timer it should fix the problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this kick plate inside the freezer, or in the back of the unit?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Its at the front of the fridge at the very bottom and stretches across the front just pull that plate off you will see the defrost timer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I defrosted everything with a hair dryer and the fridge was nice and cold for several days. I installed the new defrost timer 4 days ago and now the fridge is too warm again and the back panel in the freezer has frost on it. What now?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

The defrost timers in line with the defrost thermostat replace this thermostat I should have told you to replace both parts it common for them to both fail.