The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a GE profile frige. The frezzer door was left slightly

I have a GE profile frige. The frezzer door was left slightly open and the temp went up from 0 to 32. The fridge was closed but it also went up from 32 to 57. Do you think there is something wrong with the fridge, I am surprised that even the fridge part warmed up so much considering the doors were close?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Any time the freezer door is left open it is going to affect the refrigerator temperatures. The evaporator coils are where the refrigerator gets its cool air from. They are located at the back of the freezer section. Cool air is blown over them and into the refrigerator section by the fan in the freezer section.
As long as the unit has cooled back down to where it should be do not worry about it.

Customer:

Great thank you. You would not happen to know if that model of GE profile has an alarm beeper if the frezzer door is left open? I know that it does for the fridge doors.

The Home Smithy :

The alarm you are referring to is controlled by the door switch. Unfortunately not by the units temperature. No the freezer door does not have an alarm. Only the refrigerator. As frozen foods take a lot longer to spoil the manufacturer probably figured that putting an alarm on the freezer door would be a waste.

The Home Smithy :

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
After you accept, please leave feedback.
Thank you.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances