Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have an 8 year old Maytag Gemini Gas Range, Mod#MGR6772BDB

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old Maytag Gemini Gas Range, Mod#MGR6772BDB / Serial # XXXXX I love the range in general, but twice before the upper oven stopped working: I set the temp and push the correct oven pad, and the digital readout says 100 degrees (thats how the reading always starts), but the heat doesn't come on. Previously, the oven seemed to have fixed itself, but this time it hasn't worked for 3 months!

I have kids and a husband who push the control pads without really knowing what they are doing. I think they somehow lock or delay the oven start in their fumbling attempts to use the oven. I have read the manual and can't figure out what they did so I can UN do it. Can you help? The lower oven is working fine. Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

your oven igniter is bad, you need to replace it, you can order this @ you usually need to replace these every 6-8 years at a minimum, hope this helps, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you! I hope it is easy to install. Do oyu think I can do it myself?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you should be able to do this yourself, its under the bottom of the oven cavity, under # 24 on this diagram, link to diagram just be gentle these are fragile, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I replaced the part, but the oven still will not ignite. Should I send the part back and ask for another, or is there a way to test the igniter?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
if you have a volt meter you can test for 120 volts to the igniter, see if its getting 120 volts and let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll borrow a volt meter tomorrow and check it. Then I'll get back to you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.