Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

Hi I have a Kennmore 106.56662500 side by side where the

Customer Question

Hi: I have a Kennmore 106.56662500 side by side where the icemaker has stopped working. I don't have any schematics or repair manuals to get me started but here's what I can observe:

1. No water in the tray
2. The LED gives a double blink then pause when I open the freezer door
3. The eject fingers are level and pointing toward the back of the unit

My filter is really old so my water pressure is down a bit (takes forever to fill a glass with water) so I've ordered a new filter and will start with that. Any other advice?

Thanks,

Marc
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 5 years ago.

Most likely you have a bad ice maker, very common on this mode. The two blinks are normal. Here what you do. Pout water into the ice maker and wait 24hr if it dumps the emitter board the part behind the two blinks is bad if it doesn't the ice maker itself is bad. If you are handy, you can replace just the timer on the front of the ice maker and save about $100 bucks..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I kinda figured the ice maker was bad. The optics seems to check out OK - 2 blinks and a 1 sec rest when the door is open, solid red when I depress the emmitter switch. Does this mean the emmitter is OK?

Assuming I need to replace the icemaker, it appears that just two screws hold the thing in place, and once they are removed the whole assembly slides out the front. Do I have it correct? Is there someplace that shows the assembly blown apart? I know Sears used to have a pretty good website where you could see the part blowups, but I haven't been able to find it lately.

Thanks,

Marc

Yes, that means its ok. I bet if you take the ice maker out you will see that the pin that holds the cam on is broke..

I use sears as well you need this part click here

This video explains how to get it out:) click here