John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Hi, Just moved into a new house with a GE Adora side by side

Customer Question

Just moved into a new house with a GE Adora side by side fridge, probably 1 year old. Two problems: (1) Leaks water under right (fridge) side of unit. Stopped when we shut off ice maker so pretty sure it is a hose or fitting in that system. Need to know how to troubleshoot/fix/order parts. (2) Serious bad smell when right side (fridge) door opened. Have removed all food, cleaned, etc, and smell remains. Am starting to wonder if there is mold or rot somewhere internal (insulation?) that I can't get to?

Of these two issues, #2 is the more pressing (like the icemaker but can live without it, at least temporarily.) The stink is not going to be tolerable, especially going into August.

Thanks very much!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  AppTech35002 replied 3 years ago.

AppTech35002 :

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com to resolve your appliance issue. I look forward to assisting you.

Customer :

Ok, so you've read through the problem, what do you think?

AppTech35002 :

If the refrigerator was shut off for any appreciable amount of time the smell is just something that will have to work itself out. I have seen brand new refrigerators get turned on, get cold, never have an ounce of food put in them, then shut down and stink to high heaven. Try the obvious baking soda and the not so obvious crumpled news paper and charcoal to absorb the odor.

Customer :

Not ever shut off. That's not the issue. Has baking soda. Was cleaned today. No luck.

Customer :

Have been in the house about two weeks, the leak and the smell are new in the past three days.

AppTech35002 :

The water leak is likely coming from the water inlet valve or the connected tubing. Check for dry rotted plastic tubing especially around the compressor and condenser coil. Both are easy to replace if need be.

Customer :

Not the valve. Not likely the tubing as the leak is intermittent and does not happen when the icem

AppTech35002 :

Sorry I have to ask, your sure the odor is coming from inside the refrigerator compartment?

Customer :

Yes.

Customer :

You've read my whole initial problem statement, right? Can we start there?

AppTech35002 :

Please try to remember that I am not there to see and smell what you do. It is quite difficult to diagnose these types of problems without a smoking gun.

When you cleaned, you removed all the shelves and were able to gain access all the way back to the rear wall.

Customer :

Yes. Nothing there of note.

AppTech35002 :

I ask these questions because the refrigerator compartment has no access to the outside world other than the main door and the air duct from the freezer. Can you get me the model number so I can look up a parts break down of your unit?

Customer :

is that only on the back of the fridge? I can pull it out if need be.

AppTech35002 :

No you should be able to find it in the sfridge compartment on the wall

Customer :

dss25ksra ss

AppTech35002 :

stand by a sec

AppTech35002 :

Have you pulled the unit away from the wall and looked for any dead critters that may have made there home in the warm spaces around the compressor?

AppTech35002 :

It's getting past my bedtime. I am going to have to go now. If you like I will opt out and allow another expert to take over.

Customer :

Have pulled the unit out, as it says in initial description. Thanks for trying, will ask someone else to weigh in tomorrow.

AppTech35002 :

Sorry I could help further.