AppTech35002
AppTech35002, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience delivering, installing, and repairing major home appliances. Factory trained on most popular brands.
53934951

Good evening. I have a tappan stove -- it is very old and

Good evening. I have a tappan stove -- it is very old and I've been using it for 25 years. This stove is a gas stove to light the burners however there is some electrical hookup because recently the lights on my block went off - all the lights in my home went out and the stove burners did not light. Anyway, there is a clicking noise -- the stove is off, but it is clicking. Upon looking under the burners each time it clicks there is a spark. In the past I would hear this clicking noise if I turned the burner up too high, however the burners were off when the noise started. It's been clicking now for about an hour. I do not smell gas, but I am concerned that this might be a serious problem. Is there anything that I can do to stop the clicking noise?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  AppTech35002 replied 5 years ago.

AppTech35002 :

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com to resolve your appliance issue. I look forward to assisting you.

AppTech35002 :

You likely have a spark module that has gone bad following the power failure. To stop the clicking unplug the stove or turn it off at the circuit breaker. While I can't be 100% sure because I'm not there, this is likely not a safety problem at all. In fact, you can continue to use your stove top burners by lighting them with a match if you like. One of the perks of owning gas appliances. Unfortunately the spark module will likely have to be replaced. Without a model number I can't give you more than an estimate of the repair but I would guess that you will spend $90 to $125 for the spark module and another $120 to $150 labor if you need to have it installed professionally.

AppTech35002 :

I hope I have been able to provide information that you have found useful. If you are satisfied with my response please click accept. Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated. We can continue to chat if you have any further questions about this issue, even after you have clicked accept. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

Customer:

Sorry for the delay in responding. For some strange reason my system just hung and even though I clicked accept regarding the disclaimer nothing happened.

Customer:

I also sent a message to you advising that I would try to access your response from another computer, did that but same result. Then just out of the blue the screen changed and here you are. Thanks for you response above. My stove has been working just fine after the outage which was about two weeks ago. Also this clicking noise occurs as I mentioned in my question when turning on the burners up high. The burners can ignite without using a match -- it just I can see when it clicks the little spark.

Customer:

It is annoying to listen to the clicking, but I'm glad you mentioned that it is probably not dangerous -- as I also mentioned I do not smell gas. I guess I will need to contact someone tomorrow. Do you have the number for a Tappan Service Representative?

AppTech35002 :

No problem.

I don't think Tappan still has an appliance division that you can contact. I am fairly certain they were absorbed by another company, Amana I think who is now part of Whirlpool Corp. Nevertheless, almost any quality appliance repair service should be able to help you with this very common problem. Someone in your community surely will recommend a reliable and competent appliance service company.

Customer:

Okay. Thanks for your assistance.

Customer:

Good Night.