Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

I have a GE Monogram side by side, ice/water in the door, vintage

I have a GE Monogram side by side, ice/water in the door, vintage 1998, model ZFSB27D SS. It has performed well. Absolutely no trouble until last week. Once or twice per year, we dump and clean the ice drawer. Then the ice machine abruptly stopped. The lever arm up or down makes no difference. The ice dispenser from the door still operates. We're filling the ice drawer from another icemaker. Still getting cold water from the door. It's as if a switch were turned off. What's up with this icemaker?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. First open up the freezer and take off the white cover that is on the icemaker. Also you will need a phillips screwdriver.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. I see a hortizontal phillips screw. And , two or three gears. I assume I should turn the screw one way or the other. Right?
Correct, now looking at the front of the icemaker you will see 2 screws, one going in to a big gear and one to the left and up from the gear. You need to slowly turn the second screw I mentioned CCW or the way the arrow is showing you. Turn it for about 3 seconds then let go. You are manually starting the icemaker. Let me know if the icemaker completes a cycle and if it fills with water.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The horizontal screw is up in the upper right hand corner. The large gear has a phillips screw. The smaller gear is a flathead. Interestingly, when I opened the door, the gears were turning, and continued to turn for about 30 seconds. They it stopped. No water flowed. Should I still manually turn the smaller gear?
Yes, try it again. When you opened the door it was probably cycling.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I turned the screw and it cycled again. Arm comes up and back down again. Still no water coming into the little white trough at the rear of the icemaker. Could that line be frozen?

Very unlikely to be frozen, your problem is you have a bad water valve. The reason why water still comes out of the door is because your water valve is a dual water valve. One part comes on when you need water at the door and the other part comes on when the icemaker calls for it. You need to replace the water valve and you will be good to go. Now also with your type of water valve you also have a single water valve that all the water goes through before it goes through the dual water valve so do get to confused. I am sending you a link to a diagram and the number of the valve is #795 on the diagram. Thank you for your time and patience, Randy.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, Randy. Should I be proactive and replace both of these values? Or is the single value probably good? Are they both easily accessable?

the single valve is good since that valve works for both the icemaker and the water on the door. However, due to the age of the fridge and if you can afford it that might be a good idea to replace both. They are very easily accessible. If you pull out your fridge and look at the bottom back you will see where the water line goes in to the water valves.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Fantastic. Thanks a bunch. Can I contact you again if I have an installation issue?
Yes you most definitely can. Just ask for me as "The Appliance Guy". Thanks and you will have no problem. I am on at nights since I run my business during the day.