Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

Hello, I have an Maytag Performa, Model PSD262LHEB, Ser.# XXXXX

Customer Question

Hello, I have an Maytag Performa, Model PSD262LHEB, Ser.# XXXXX It's not getting cold, either side. I here a relay click and it sounds like it wants to come on for about 10 seconds and clicks off. The fan runs all the time, and all the coils are clean on the bottom. Any ideas would sure help....Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 3 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

Bad news

Repairman1981 :

That click and buzzing sound is the compressor

Repairman1981 :

The correct (or how I would) diagnose is to remove the relay and overload from the compressor

Repairman1981 :

Then install a 3n1 start device (or new factory parts, the 3 in 1 is universal and cheap) and see if the compressor runs

Repairman1981 :

If it is hot (you can feel it by removing the back) this is probably a waste of time

Repairman1981 :

If it's hot you have a freon leak

Repairman1981 :

If it's not hot and doing this you might just have a bad start relay

Repairman1981 :

So you can either get a 3n1 from a local parts house or just pull it out and feel of it right now

Repairman1981 :

You can't fix a freon leak on your own anyway so that will tell us how to proceed

Customer :

the compressor is not hot..

Repairman1981 :

You can fix the start relay yourself

Repairman1981 :

Well, if it's not hot that is good

Repairman1981 :

you need to put a new factory relay on or a 3 n 1 universal start relay on it

Customer :

is there a number on the relay

Repairman1981 :

that should get you back up and working

Customer :

that black relay...

Customer :

on compressor

Repairman1981 :

well if you see a black relay it's most likely the cover

Repairman1981 :

Under the cover is the relay it's usually white and black

Repairman1981 :

Lemme get you a part number and send you a diagram

Customer :

ok

Repairman1981 :

Full Size Image

Repairman1981 :

Item number 4 is your relay and cap part number

Customer :

I see relay but no part number

Repairman1981 :

This part number is the whole start device (they have combined them into 1 part number so you don't have to buy 3 different things) 67005560 is the part number. It costs 32.21.

Customer :

Great, Do you sell them or do I need to go to appliance store?

Repairman1981 :

You can order it from RepairClinic.com

Repairman1981 :

I can personally sell them, but we're not supposed to sell directly to you

Repairman1981 :

We're supposed to refer you out somewhere

Repairman1981 :

So I usually send people to repair clinic, they have one of the best return policies in the industry and a universal 3 n 1 I was talking about is about 19.99 .... so just buy the fatcory parts

Repairman1981 :

Usually they are a lot more expensive

Repairman1981 :

that and the fact I can stock 1 part number for every fridge is why I recommend the 3 n 1

Repairman1981 :

Lemme know if you need anything else on this one. Please remember to leave feedback after clicking accept and have a great rest of your weekend

Repairman1981 :

Thanks!

Repairman1981 :

You can return to this chat anytime out to around 6 months

Repairman1981 :

No additonal charges

Customer :

If I ask for a 3n1 start relay will they know what i'm talking about?

Repairman1981 :

repair clinic should, but not 100% .... just buy the factory part number I sent you

Repairman1981 :

It's only 10 more dollars and you will need it

Repairman1981 :

You can't leave the universal on it long term

Repairman1981 :

I just use it tilll I can get the factory parts for someone to get them cooling down

Customer :

ok thanks

Repairman1981 :

No problem. I just did one of these same part numbers, went out on a guy after a power outage

Repairman1981 :

They do just break sometimes

Repairman1981 :

His was cool and the new parts fixed it right up. So it does happen.

Repairman1981 :

Maybe you just saved a LOT of money

Repairman1981 :

A lot of inexperienced techs say that clicking is the compressor and try to sell you a 800.00 repair

Customer :

Thank You very Much

Repairman1981 :

But lots of times it's the start components. If you put the new one on and it still won't start it is the compressor and that isn't something you can fix yourself

Customer :

No I would buy a new fridg.

Repairman1981 :

Well have a great rest of the weekend and lemme know if I can help you further on it

Repairman1981 :

Please do remember to leave feedback after clicking accept and have a great rest of the day

Customer :

just removed the relay and cap. just to let you know the compressor is warm to touch but the top is much warmer, didn't know if this is normal or not!

Customer :

hello

Repairman1981 :

if the compressor is just a little above room temp warm then you could still be good, if it's ever hot (can't leave your hand on hot) and your getting the clicking, replacing the start electricals won't help it's a freon leak or restriction causing this