Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

We have a KitchenAid natural gas stove/oven. My wife ran the

We have a KitchenAid natural gas stove/oven. My wife ran the self Clean mode and the oven will not release the door. We even left it unplugged for a couple weeks and it still says "hot" and will not release the door lock. How do I manually reset this door lock?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 3 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

If it's saying HOT and won't release the thermostat is bad

Repairman1981 :

It thinks it is still to hot

Repairman1981 :

You should be able to open these with a coat hanger between the door and frame pulling to the left of the latch

Repairman1981 :

Once you release this, you can then change the thermostat

Repairman1981 :

For me to get you a thermostat part number and price I will need your model number

Repairman1981 :

So you will have to get it open for me to get you the right parts information

Repairman1981 :

That is really all it can be if you have the word hot. IT can't still be hot weeks later or you would have blown your high limit and it would have completely shut down by now

Customer:

ok, thanks. so i should be able to pull the lever open manually, pulling the lever to the left, as you look at the oven?

Customer:

yes, i hear a relay click every few seconds while it is plugged in, but won't open and can't clear the "hot" message

Repairman1981 :

yes

Repairman1981 :

Is it possible at all that it's still hot?

Repairman1981 :

The clicking isn't good that would signify as it's still trying to heat

Repairman1981 :

But you can usually feel the heat by now outside it if it's actually hot

Repairman1981 :

Most likley it's just a bad sensor and it thinks it's hot when it's not

Customer:

no it is not possible. we unplugged it weeks ago, so the relay would not keep tripping.

Customer:

the locking lever is near the middle of the door, correct? I haven't been able to make it budge with a coat hanger. I can get ahold of it, but pulling just straightens out the hangar. (using a stronger bronze colored hangar, not the cheap white ones)

Repairman1981 :

yep

Repairman1981 :

if you can't get it to release like that you might have to bend or break the latch

Repairman1981 :

is this a range or a wall oven>

Repairman1981 :

the latches are the same, but the range has the model behind the lower drawer

Repairman1981 :

with a model I can tell you exactly how to get into any of them

Customer:

it's a range, i can pull it out from the counter top.

Repairman1981 :

is there a storage drawer under the oven

Repairman1981 :

If so open it and see if you have a model serial tag behind it

Customer:

Model KGST300HWH4

Customer:

would the serial number help also?

Repairman1981 :

naah

Repairman1981 :

just a min

Repairman1981 :

Good news, Yours has the latch motor that is on the rear

Repairman1981 :

Kill the power and slide it out

Repairman1981 :

Take the back off and you can access the thermostat wiring to measure it

Repairman1981 :

And you can unlock the door from there

Customer:

i just got it.. poked a bent screwdriver between the grates at the top, and pushed the lever RIGHT and it opened

Repairman1981 :

there ya go

Repairman1981 :

Leave it open

Repairman1981 :

And then you can change the sensor

Repairman1981 :

If the distributor lookup will come on I'm trying to get you a part number, and pricing and all so you can order one

Customer:

ok, thank you.

Customer:

thanks for pointing me in the right direction. My wife just called, getting off work and I need to go meet her. I'll leave this window open so I can "accept" when I get back

Repairman1981 : (NNN) NNN-NNNNis the part number, you can order it from Repair Clinic I
Repairman1981 :

If you need anything else from me (changing is a piece of cake, just slide out take back off, 2 screws hold it in, unplug and plug new one in and your good

Repairman1981 :

just lemme know

Repairman1981 :

Please remember to leave feedback after clicking accept and have a great rest of the weekend

Repairman1981 :

Thanks!

Customer:

ok great! will take care of that tomorrow. will do. thanks again for your help! You have a great rest of the weekend too... not much left of it though.

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands