repairman4734, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  38 years in self-employed major appliance & refrigeration service. Have 2 licenses to do refrig.

My freezer door wont stay shut. It loses its seal about

Customer Question

My freezer door won't stay shut. It loses it's seal about 10" down the side and across the top from one corner.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  repairman4734 replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name is Farrell & I will be helping you with your problem today. Thanks for using just answer. May I please have the model number off of your machine. You will find it in the frig. on the wall or ceiling. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've seen it suck the door in after it's opened, but it doesn't seem to do it consistenly. It sucked it in last night, but then lost it's seal after about 10 seconds. Thank you.

Hi, question, did the door get bent or pushed backward hard against the stop? If not, close the door where it should be. Look at gap all the way around. Is it even? You might try taking a hair dryer and warm the gasket up to reform it. If this fails, the part number for the new gasket;

(NNN) NNN-NNNNgasket $123.02 available at sears parts and servicenters. Hope this helps and have a good day. Smile
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The gap on the corner where it's leaking was about 1/4" wider than the rest of the door. I just checked. The freezer is in a small room, so no chance the door swung open and hit something. I tried to "bend" it back some and it has helped. I have no idea how it could have gotten the way it is. Maybe adjusting the hinge may help too if it can be adjusted, but it appears it's plainly that one corner - gradually getting wider as you go from about the mid door to top on the latch side. 3/4" at the bottom, 7/8" mid door and now about 15/16" at the top after my "bend".

Sounds like the door got tweaked a bit. If you put your foot on the door at the bottom oposite the hinges and pull at the top, maybe that will help. Alignments the key here.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you sir!
You are very welcome.