Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore

whirlpool microwaves What is a F6 error code

Customer Question

whirlpool microwaves? What is a F6 error code?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 5 years ago.

Hello, my name is Dave. The F6 code is listed as a problem with the MW relay. Here are the testing steps from the technical literature. The relay that is mentioned is a part of the control so if the problem continues you will need to replace the control.

1. Unplug microwave oven or disconnect power.

2.Check the cable to Relay 4903.

Check to see if the relay (4903 on relay electronic control) contact has welded closed.

Replace all parts and panels before operating.

Plug in microwave oven or reconnect power.

If problem persists, unplug microwave oven or disconnect power.

Replace electronic control.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what would have caused this to happen?
Do I need to have a service tech do this or can I do this myself?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dave, thanks for the quick reply but i don't know how to check the control panel as it is installed above my stove. Do I have to take it out of the wall?

Thank you Patti

Hello Patti. There really is not much to check other than the wires that go to the relay and they are almost never the problem. It is almost always the control. If it give the F6 code anytime you try to run the oven you will need the control. I looked up the control and it is #W10211457 ($105) if the last number in the model number is a 0 or a 1. If it is a 2 the number is #W10350619 ($80). After pulling the plug you can take off the top grille bu removing 2 screws. This exposes one screw at the top of the control panel and the panel will drop down. There are several connections and several screws that hold the control in place. It is best for a service person to do this because a microwave can cause electrical shock even after being unplugged if get near the capacitor.