Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line

We think our thermal fuse is out - we have a Frigidaire Affinity

Customer Question

We think our thermal fuse is out - we have a Frigidaire Affinity model AEQ6000ES2 electric dryer. Operates for about 5 minutes, no heat, then stops and we have three blinking lights. Everything I've read seems to indicate a thermal fuse issue (there is one small one and one larger one). Sounds REALLY easy to replace (all instructions say to take of the top panel, disconnect the wires and replace the fuse - easy!) except that we can't get an angle on anything to actually remove/replace them. Primarily the drum is in the way. How do we realistically get our hands on the thermal fuse(s)? Do we need to remove the drum?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 5 years ago.

it is not the thermal fuse .

If it was the thermal fuse on this model the unit would not start at all .

The three blinking lights means you have an open thermistor .

Mounted on the blower housing.

here is a link to the part. -Parts/134587700/0026/417/Model-AEQ6000ES2/1428/0151200?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=0151200&searchModelNumber=AEQ6000ES2&subCompDesc=Motor&brandDesc=FRIGIDAIRE&modelDesc=DRYER&blt=11

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It looks like the Thermistor is located in the motor. Where is the motor located and how do we get to it?

the Thermistor is located on the front of the blower housing on the front left corner of the unit.

Item number 15 in the link.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,
I don't mean to leave you hanging but we've been working on this when we can. Found and removed the thermistor and had it tested - seems to be fine (reads the same as a new part and he said it would be one extreme or the other if it was bad). We also checked the circuit breakers on the appliance parts store guy's suggestion and everything seems OK, though I think we'll try to reset. I cleaned up the residue on the thermistor and accumulated lint within the cabinet and we'll try reinstalling the thermistor and see what happens. We appreciate your help.
no problem ,glad to assist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Greetings, we have replaced the Thermistor, as well as the electronic control and still have the same issue. Pretty sure the house electrical is OK. Found the Dryer Tech Data sheet and ran a field test. Had code E5b and E4a. E4a seems to have cleared since we replaced the electronic control but E5b persists and original problem repeats. Any other ideas?

I show that E5b is Push button does not function.

Pushbutton held too long or wedged in the control panel.

Press buttons lightly and release. Disengage button if this does not work You willneed to replace the touchpad assembly .

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, but the data tech sheet that comes with the unit indicates it is an issue with the thermistor, electric control panel, heating components or wiring between any of these. It offers a much more involved and complicated diagnostic and set of solutions that requires a much deeper understanding of the electronic control panel and electrical connections within the unit than we can manage. Hate to do it, but we resolved that since we couldn't fix it with the replacement of the key components indicated by the error code, we need a service person to come out and fix it. I would like to pay you for your time - could we adjust the amount to $10 since you tried but we were unsuccessful in resolving the issue? Or we could wait until Saturday and if the service tech tells us the same thing you're telling me now, I'll accept your answer as-is at $30 in good faith. But from what you're telling me about the error code compared to what I see on the data sheet, I don't think we're even close.

An Expert has NO way to change the value that the customer set on the answer .

And the Code E5b is show on the Service manual for the model number that you have provided AEQ6000ES2 as the touch pad (( all that I did was just copy and paste from Frigidaire Service Manual .

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, just an update - we had a service tech from sears come out and when he took off the drum, it was immediately obvious that our heating element was bad (broken). The guy showed us the trick for getting the drum/belt back together and then we saved at least $100 parts markup by buying the part ourselves and installing. Works like a charm now. Respectfully, I think you might need a new Frigidaire Service Manual if the one you have was indicating touch pad for that error code. We used the error code chart info we found inside the dryer as well as a manual we downloaded online to do our troubleshooting and our error code indicated a problem with heating, thermistor or electronic control (it was by far the most complicated problem/solution error code - lucky us). Our dryer was from 03/09.