Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience appliance repair and installation
25067054

Spin cycle does not work for Kenmore model 110.26722693

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.

Neilwill :

Hello, Thank you for using JustAnswer! If you have any questions after reading my answer,be sure to let me know. Does it wash, but not spin? Or does the mashine not agitate at all?

Customer:

It agitates and rinses. The water drains but the clothes are left very wet.

Neilwill :

Okay give me a minute to check something.

Neilwill :

If it will agitate but not spin would likely indicate a mechanical failure in the gear case or the brake is not releasing.

If the washer will not agitate or spin while the motor is running, the failure would be a broken motor coupler. To access the motor coupler will involve removing the washer cabinet, pump and motor.

Customer:

This does not sound like a DIY repair.

Neilwill :

To access the motor coupler will require removing the washer cabinet.

• First, disconnect the power cord from the power source.

• The console (key#26) will need to be placed in the service position by removing two (2) hidden screws, one (1) screw located at the bottom of the left hand end cap (key#7) and one (1) screw located at the bottom of the right hand end cap (key#10).

• In order to access the two (2) hidden screws, the left hand end cap trim (key#8) and the right hand end cap trim (key#15) will need to be removed.

• To remove the end cap trim (key#8&11), place you finger behind the trim at the very top and bend it up enough to clear the console and then hinge it towards the front and off.

• Remove the hidden screw under each end cap trim at the bottom of the end caps. Slide the console forwards about 1/4 inch and the raise it upwards and hinge it over the rear panel.

• Disconnect the 3 wire lid switch harness plug located on the top. Pop the two (2) gold colored cabinet clips off as shown in the image below.

• Place the tip of a flat tipped screw driver down into the first valley and then push the handle end to the rear of the washer to pop off the cabinet clips.

• Open the lid and grab the opening and tilt the top of the washer cabinet forwards just a few degrees and then walk it backwards and off.

• Remove the water pump by prying the two (2) pump retainer clips off.

• Leave the two (2) pump hoses connected to the pump and shove the pump over to the left and out of the way of the motor.

• Disconnect the motor wire harness plug from the motor.

• Pry the two (2) motor retainer clips off. Note: if there is a screw threaded through the motor retainer clips, remove the screws before prying the motor retainer clips off.

• Remove the motor.

You now have access to the motor coupler part#285753A. The motor coupler consists of three (3) parts. One fits on the gear case input shaft, one fits on the motor shaft and the rubber isolator links the two together once the motor is reinstalled.

Reverse the procedure to re-assemble the washer.

Neilwill :

No this is not a home handy person repair!!

Neilwill :

Unfortunately , you may need a hands on tech on location.

Customer:

Who is best to call?

Customer:

1. Appliance repair store?

Customer:

2. Plumber?

Customer:

How much should I expect to pay, parts & labor total?

Neilwill :

If you machine is 13 years old I would replace it rather than investing a couple hundred dollars in to an old unit. You have to decide this!

Neilwill :

Sears appliance repairs.

Neilwill :

I'll give you the number

Customer:

So it would cost a few hundred to repair it?

Neilwill :

let me see

Neilwill :

They may charge you $100 service charge and then the parts and labor. The coupling they list for about $20. plus labor you may be at $200.

Neilwill :

If thats all they find.

Customer:

Would a local place be a better idea?

Neilwill :

You know the new washers use 1/3 the water than the older ons

Customer:

Do you mean front-loaders?

Neilwill :

Yours may use 48-50 gallons per wash and there are washers today that only use 9 or 10 gallons!!!

Neilwill :

They really pay for them selves in a few yaers.

Neilwill :

Washers of the last decade only last 9 or 10 years

Neilwill :

!3 is great

Customer:

So it sounds like you're saying I'm running on borrowed time in any case.

Neilwill : Yes that is the case Repair

1-800-424-2047

Neilwill :

That was Sears repair #

Neilwill :

If you can afford to replace it, Thats what I would suggest.

Customer:

Can I print out our chat page? And how do I get in touch with you again?

Neilwill :

You can still talk to me and ask me questions for days even after you click accept.

Neilwill :

I can change this from chat to post and we can send posts back and forth to your e-mail after this for perhaps a week.

Neilwill :

If my answer is helpful, press theGREEN ACCEPTbutton,this is how I am paid for helping you. You can still ask me questions.POSITIVE FEEDBACK & BONUSES APPRECIATED

Customer:

OK, I have to go out now. Please e-mail me. Do you already have the address?

Neilwill :

Click accept and When you are ready i'll change it to e-mail .

Neilwill :

Do not need it these will automaticly go to your e-mail as notices.

Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 10 years experience appliance repair and installation
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Okay if you have any questions later let me know.