Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Kitchenaid KSCS25FKSS01 side-by side water dispenser doesnt

Customer Question

My Kitchenaid KSCS25FKSS01 side-by side water dispenser doesn't pour water. When a glass is pushed on the paddle, the light goes on but no water. Could it be the valve or the wiring harness? My guess is the harness because it was intermittent for a while and then it didn't work at all.
This happened about a year ago and we just did without the water dispenser. I used to change the water filter avery 3-4 months but stopped. Now the icemaker makes cubes that are not fully filled. I am afraid to change the filter because I can't flush the specks of carbon that always come out when you change the filter, and I don't want to clog the icemaker.
If I get the water dispenser fixed and then change the filter, do you think the icemaker problem will go away?
Any idea how much the repair should cost? I checked and the wiring harness was priced around $110 - an awful lot for about 6 feet of 4 or 5 wires. The fridfe is about 6 years old - should I start expecting more problems?
Thanks, Eric
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

On this particular refrigerator, the most common issue is that the water line inside the door freezes. Remove the kick panel below the refrigerator and freezer doors and look for the water line disconnect just behind the front panel near the freezer door hinge. Disconnect the water line and shut the door. Press the water dispenser and see if water comes out of the water line at the bottom where you'd disconnected the water line. If water comes out, you'll need to just turn the refrigerator off and leave the door open for about 45 minutes and that will allow the door to heat up enough that when you connect the water line to the door again, it should start to dispense water again. Using a hair dryer to warm up the door is also very useful. If no water come out the bottom water line, then replace the valve on the back of the refrigerator, because it's just bad.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I read on a site that the wire below the bottom door hinge that leads to the valve may be broken. I thought that may be why the water dispenser worked some of the time but not all the time. For 8 to 10 months after the water dispenser stopped working, the ice cubes continued to come out full and clear. Does this change your suggestion any?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
that is true, yes. I didn't realize the problem was intermittent. The problem with the wire breaking (which is common on this unit) is that the door is not accessable, so the entire door needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any guess on the cost of replacing the door?? Why do they sell replacement wiring harnesses if there is no way of putting them in?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I have no idea why they would sell the siring harness separately, I've asked them that same question for years. Either way, the cost of the part along is about $650 since it's a stainless steel door.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I called a local service company and the technician tested the wire harness from door to valve and found 2 of the wires had broken where they flex when the door opens/closes. It did NOT require replacing the door. The tech spliced some new wire onto the two broken ones and everything works again. The labor cost me an $84.95 service call charge and he cleaned/adjusted my stove burners on the same service call charge.

It did NOT require a new valve, thawing any water lines or a new door. Sorry, but your advice was off on 3 counts. I guess I should have trusted my local guy without looking for another opinion.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Advice I got was way off - how do I get my money back?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
as I stated, your wires are broken. Any fix that the technician did to repair the wires below the door will not last. it never does. you still need a new door.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Time will tell.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Have a nice day.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I had followed your advice dated July 19, 2011 10:56 AM EST, I would now have a new water valve and still a broken wire in the harness. How much do you think that advice was worth?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Again, have a nice day.