Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.

I have a Whirlpool washer LSQ9200LQ0. My wife turned it on

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool washer LSQ9200LQ0.
My wife turned it on today and it brought water in and started agitating, but would not drain the water out.
I have unplugged everything and removed the water that was in it. I checked the end of the drain pipe and it is totally dry, so I assume no water is being pumped out the drain.
Any suggestions on what to do while I haggle with Whirlpool over the fact that I do have an extended service plan.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Gary Howse
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Customer:

hi

Robert :

When you turn it to the spin cycle does it make any noise?

Customer:

no, it does nothing. does not turn on or anything. only when I go to the wash cycle does it agitate

Robert :

Ok. Sounds like the lid switch is bad. Let me look at the breakdown and see if there is anything you can do without voiding the extended warranty.

Customer:

I just tried the spin cycle and it does make a soft buzz noise.

Robert :

Okay. Is the buzz coming from down low or by the timer?

Customer:

it seems to come from the timer. I know they replaced the time in 1/2010.

Robert :

Ok. Still sounds like the lid switch. The lid switch is on the right side under the lid. On the lid itself there should be a lever that pushes down on the switch. Make sure it is intact and make sure the screws are tight on the switch itself. Push down on the switch with a pen or something and see if it makes a clicking noise.

Customer:

ok

Robert :

Let me know what you find.

Customer:

I can push it down but it does not spring back up. I can push it back in place but it does not stay it falls down again.

Robert :

That is proof positive that the switch is bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer:

Can I do that without voiding anything?

Robert :

Not really. They are so picky about you touching it sometimes. You could take the screws out, drop the switch, cut the wires off of the back and tie the two grey one together to get it to run but if the tech tell the warranty company then you will be 'up the creek'

Customer:

I thought of doing that but...sounds like not a good idea. Is there any other way to double check this to see if that is really the problem?

Robert :

Not without taking it apart. I have been doing this for about 18 years and I can guarantee you that if the lid switch will not spring back up when you let go then the switch is bad.

Customer:

That would keep the machine from draining the water? I assume it is for safety that you have the lid closed.

Robert :

Yes. The pump is a direct drive pump and it will not drain if the motor is not running. The switch keeps the motor from running when the lid is open and if the switch breaks it will not drain or spin.

Customer:

Makes sense. Thanks for your help. I will try to work with Whirlpool and eventually get it fixed. You have been helpful to keep me from tearing it apart. :)

Robert :

I hope they take care of you. If not, the part is really easy to replace and won't take long to do it.

Robert :

Let me know if you need any other help.

Customer:

While we contact Whilrpool, I guess we will be going to the laudry mat. Thanks again. Would you have any knowledge of whether or not the part could be gotten in the Los Angeles area or is it wiser to order online and have it come to the home?

Robert :

It will be available at any local appliance parts retailer because it is so popular and replaced alot because it is on every model thay make.

Customer:

Good. Thanks a lot for your help. Have a good night.

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.