Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

F70 code on Maytag washer...can I fix

F70 code on Maytag washer...can I fix?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

do you have the full model # ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can't find paper work but is little over a year old...series 3000 Maytag washer error code f70
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

R U still a round?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sorry something is slow with the system, open the door and it should be inside .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
mhwe300vw12
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, give me a few minutes to look up your information, I will be back as soon as I can, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok...gotta take my dog out...be back in a few

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
The F70 code is referring to a loose connection or one of the control boards either the CCU central control unit or the motor control board MCU, you need to open the machine and check all the wiring connections with a connector the boards make sure one is a loose or one of the pins hasn't come loose on the wire, this can be a real pain in the neck to do if you don't find any bad wires or loose plugs either the CCU or the MCU is bad, however this is a very expensive machine to repair this is the MCU motor control unit, and this is considered the CCU the central control or interface, the problem is these are both over $250 so you may want to consider a new machine, here is a link to the parts if you wish to look at them, http://www.repairclinic.com/Model-MHWE300VW12-ID-895203-Parts?s=d895203e thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan, I don't see how it could be a loose wire as the machine is like I said just over a year old and has not been moved...my daughter came to wash...I am thinking she did not know about operating and may have confused the system......

How do I "open machine"...is sthis something I can do ? is the mcu or interface behind it? ....this is a stacked unit.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well these machines have been known to have a bad wire and harnesses in them from the factory but that's not necessarily what's going on with it, did she try to wash any rugs or comforters in this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure was not here...but could have...is there some way to by pass the code?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You know what I'd like to have you look at before we go any further under the door there is an access panel, number five on this diagram, remove that panel and you will going to find a pump and pump trap, open this pump trap by turn it counterclockwise and pull the trap out,check for any obstructions or debris in the pump trap, get some towels there may be some water still in the machine, let me know if you find anything, thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
This is exactly what the service manual says about the F 70 code word for word,

If a Central Control Unit Heartbeat Failure is displayed, no communication

is detected from the Central Control Unit (CCU) to the User Interface.

Possible Causes/Procedure

Check for continuity of the User Interface harness.

Check wire harness connections to the User Interface and the CCU.

If the drum is not rotating, unplug the MCU from the CCU

(the MI3 or M13 connector). If the code disappears, replace

the MCU. If the code does not disappear, replace the CCU.

Replace User Interface if drum is rotating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok will be back with you...Bryan the fastner requires a special tool it appears.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I saw the same thing on my search on the Maytag codes page on the internet...had it ready to paste on here to show you....can't get the fastner out without a tool, I am thinking
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes the fastener I believe are torx screws, if you don't have one Lowe's sells these relatively cheap you can get a set for $5-$8 when you get one let me know, the other information about the boards came out of the tech sheets for these, let me know when you get it apart, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I live about a hours drive to and from Lowe's
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Oh okay, just let me know when you're able to get this open, like I said the tech sheet information I gave you above is directly out of the tech service sheets, that's why I said don't be surprised if it turns out to be one of the control boards or the wiring harness, they have had a lot of trouble with these, these machines vibrate quite a bit so you need to check the plugs for sure also, if you don't find anything in the pump assembly make sure you check the wiring, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not been able to get to Lowe's yet. I need to do some things before heading out....and I need to get someone to help me with the labor, as I am nearing 68 years old and a little slow that way. If that fails I will need to try to get a service agreement and wait 60 days to report or just try to figure out how to pay tahe big bucks to have it serviced....too bad you are not in KY. I may try an eletrician that I know.If I accept now can I get back with you later?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yes you can get back to me later, you have 30 after you accept to ask more questions, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you need to open the machine and check all the wiring connections with a connector the boards make sure one is a loose or one of the pins hasn't come loose on the wire

I can not get hold of anyone so far...what does this mean "with a connector", Bryan?I alos remered that I saw f 70 at one time. I am thinking of trying to find an eletrician or maybe try to pull out his stacked unit myself, but since it has a dryer on top of it....welll guess I have to live with it for 60 days or so

Update a couple of guys are coming in the AM...I am supposed to be telling them what to do...any suggestions???? I guess I will start at the bottom with the star screws and then work my way up if need be...wish me luck!

It is fixed...loose wire on the bottom...thanks for everything!