Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a new Bosch Eco Sense Dishwasher (in operation since

Customer Question

I have a new Bosch Eco Sense Dishwasher (in operation since November 2010). This morning I wanted to run a cycle and the door does not engage. There is no obstruction anywhere and even after removing all three drawers the door does not engage. I assume it has something to do with the (plastic) closing mechanism on the top?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This happens sometimes on these bosch dishwashers. It means that the plastic latch has flipped into the closed spot and over extended. You can't really reset the latch because the reason this happend was because the plastic on the latch is getting warped. You'll need to order and replace the latch assembly to fix the issue. The part normally costs about $40 or so.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wow, this is awful -- I guess it is caused by the rather flimsy plastic all over the dishwasher. The dishwasher has only been used about twice weekly since November of 2010. I sthis a common event with the Bosch dishwasher?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I wouldn't say it's really common, but I've seen it happen about 10 times or so, so it definitely does happen. Just for perspective, I've probably seen over 100 control board go bad on these units, so a bad control board is much more likely. Since the unit isn't even a year old, it will still be covered under warranty so you'll want to call Bosch so that you can get it fixed at no charge.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had the same problem twice within two weeks as the door locking mechanism of my brand new Eco Sense Bosch Dishwasher is not working-- this door locking mechanism is made of flimsy plastic. I am really fed up and don't want to replace this contraption as I am certain it won't last . It is not the control board. I will replace this Bosch dishwasher with another brand as I am certain that this will happen again and again and again. Bad engineering -- sorry to sa.y
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
well I'm sorry to hear that, but you are correct, I believe it's just a bad desgin as well--it's completely up to you if you want to get a different kind of appliance.