John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Must a propane stove/oven be vented to the outside

Must a propane stove/oven be vented to the outside?

Hi Im John I will help you with the propane stove venting problem.

Electric stoves do not need to be vented. Gas stoves also do not need to be vented, altho a hood that is vented outside would be a good idea to cut down on the cooking odors and fumes that might be given off by the burning gas. Same goes for propane burning stoves

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't mean to second guess you, but are you sure? I keep getting different answers. The home inspector said it should be vented to the outside but the contractor said no. I get both answers in discussion forums. Some say the propane is heavier and will collect in pockets on the floor if the flame isn't using it all up and it would be a fire hazard.
The contractor is correct no need to vent it to the outside a propane leak will fall to the floor but not the regular use of the propane stove.