Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.

how do you remove drawer slide to replace one on maytag freezer

Customer Question

how do you remove drawer slide to replace one on maytag freezer drawer of refrigerator
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

Let me pull the tech manual on your unit.

Robert :

You have the door off and the basket out, correct?

Customer :

yes

Robert :

Pull the rails out to the fullest extension.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

done

Robert :

Look in the rail guide and you should see a piece of plastic that you will have to push in with a screwdriver and pull that rail forward to disengage it. Do this to both sides. Then pull the both sides out at the same time.

Robert :

The middle rail between the cogs may fall out so be careful not to damage your floor.

Customer :

so the whole rail system should come out; slides and all

Robert :

Yes. The only thing left will be the plastic guides on the side wall.

Customer :

pls wait as i try to do this

Robert :

No problem.

Customer :

it is done, now how do you get this apart

Robert :

There should be 1-2 retaining screws on the rail and the other part kinda locks into it. Sorta like a hanger of sorts. Do you have the manual?

Customer :

no

Customer :

but let me look at the part and see if i see what you are talking about

Robert :

I will get you a link to one. I think it has a pic in there that shows you how to unhook the basket holder.

Robert :

Page 6 has the pic.

Customer :

the page tells how to reverse door, but i have the part in my hands, and it looks loike 2 plastic hooks

Robert :

Sorry, i meant page 5 of the actual manual(page 6 of the pdf file)

Robert :

What part are you actually trying to replace?

Customer :

right slide. there appears to ne a screw holding the bracket onto the slide; however on the head side of the screw it looks like a rivet, how do you get the screw off

Robert :

There are rivets on the assembly that you cannot remove. That is what you are likely seeing.

Robert :

It states that the door rails are held on by plastic retainer clips and not screws.

Robert :

Not the rail that you took out, the part hooked into the rail.

Customer :

well then i should have purchased the bracket and the cog wheel, because if there are rivets holding this on, it can,t be removed

Robert :

I am assuming that you took the door off by removing the screws that hold the front panel on and the brackets that the door screw too are the parts you are needing off. Can you take a pic of what you are referring to so I know exactly what you are talking about?

Customer :

no camera, sorry. that rivet appears to have threads, so there must be a way of getting this off because the new part has a hole where va screw/rivet goes

Robert :

Here is the breakdown I am looking at.

Robert :

Number 26 is the part you are trying to replace, right?

Robert :

It is not attached to the cogs so that is why I am confused.

Customer :

number 9 is attached to 27, at least that is what i think the number is XXX the cog is attached to 27. # X has one fastener holding it on, but how do you remove it

Robert :

You have to locate and remove the plastic retainer clip on the outside edge of the rail(it is about 3 inches from where the door was attached) and then lift 9 up on the side the door attaches to so you can unhook it from the rail.

Robert :

Look at that manual i sent you the link to and imagine that number 9 is still screwed onto the door as illustrated in the picture on page 5.

Robert :

It would be so much easier if I was there to see it with you. They need a video chat feature.

Customer :

robert, everything i have in my hand is the right slide with only the bracket that attaches to the door attached to the slide and the cog wheel attached to the slide. there is only 1 fastener holding the bracket that attaches to the door and slide. how do you remove that fastener. everything is removed from the door. the door is not the issue

Robert :

I know what you are talking about. You took the bolt out of the door, correct?

Robert :

Number 9 is still supposed to be attached to the door but you took it off by the bolts.

Customer :

there are 2 ears on the slide that the bracket fits into. 1 is attached with a fastener an the other slides into once the fastener is removed

Customer :

yes i took it off the bolts

Robert :

It comes apart without removing the rivets. I am trying to find something that shows you what to look for.

Robert :

It is hart to explain without being there.

Customer :

this ear has a hole and a fastener is holding it on

Robert :

I can't find any additional information for you on this. I was looking for a video or pictures but i can't find any and I am at a standstill. I will opt out and send this to another tech who may be able to explain it better. I am sorry.

Customer :

i removed the bracket, how do you remove the cog wheel

Customer :

from the slide