Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hi, I have a Whirlpool Duet Sport Washer about 5 years old

I have a Whirlpool Duet Sport Washer about 5 years old which has the Control Lock issue with an incessant beeping sound and "end of cycle signal" going on and off on his own will.

Yes, pressing the button for 3 seconds enables me to use the washer again. But it locks up and goes back to beeping if I just do the 3 second reset and leave it.

So I'm stuck with a washer that will work only after I reset the control lock and set the wash cycle. But once the wash is over, it goes back to beeping all on its own.

For a 5 year old washer with only 3 people in the house, not impressed to say the least.

So what is it exactly that's defective on this washer?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

this is a CCU problem, (Central Control Unit. ) there should be 2 numbers at the end of the model # XXXXX 01,02 03 04, can you get that to me?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you're asking about the Washer model number, I opened the front door and checked the label. It has 00 past the model # XXXXX gave WFW8300SW
So a complete number of WFW8300SW00

Or, are you asking about the CCU model # ? If so, this will take a few minutes because it's all put back together.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I got it, after looking this over your issue is not the CCU but the user interface is. these have the buttons you push to set the cycles and the control lock, the control lock button is arching and causing this to lock the control, you need to replace it. the part # XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNNits part # XXXXX on this diagram, this will take care of your issue, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you're correct, just for a confirming test, I suppose I could carve out the plastic overlay on top of the control lock button making sure the button moves freely before I buy another part. If the problem goes away, I know I won't be changing a part for nothing.

Concur?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

I guess that wouldn't hurt to try, see if you can put this in diagnostic mode,

DIAGNOSTIC TEST

The complete built-in service diagnostic module contains two

entry modes and three modes of operation.

Entry modes:

n Universal mode across all products. It displays error history

prior to performing any automated test.

n Quick entry and bypasses the displaying of error codes.

Operation modes:

n Display the error states that have been recorded by the

appliance.

n Run through an automated test.

n Run loads to assist in diagnosing potentially non-electrical

issues.

Starting Service History Mode & Diagnostic Test:

NOTE: The washer must be empty and the control must be

in the OFF state before pressing the touch-pad sequence to

start the test.

1. Close the door.

2. Select any one key (except PAUSE/CANCEL) and follow

the steps below, using the same key (remember the key):

Press/hold

4 seconds

Ô Release for

4 seconds

Ô Press/hold

4 seconds

Ô Release for

4 seconds

Ô Press/hold

4 seconds

3. Upon release, all console LED lights will turn on for

5 seconds.

4. If there are any failure codes, they will be displayed in the

Estimated Time Remaining display.

NOTE: This program recalls the most recent failure code

first.

Press the same key to advance to the next failure code.