Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Recently my Whirlpool Gold washing machine has begun to stop

Recently my Whirlpool Gold washing machine has begun to stop spinning my clothes dry after they go through the rinse cycle. Sometimes if I redo the spin cycle, the machine will spin out the water. However, more and more as I have used my machine in the last few days, that is not working. Can you help me determine what might be the problem with my washer? Thank you very much.

XXXXX XXXXX XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. Sets get started.

Does this actually spin all the way to the end of the spin cycle? It's just not spin and the clothes out like it used to?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan,
Thanks for your help today. The machine is making the "noise" that the tub is spinning during the cycle but when the noise stops and the clothes should be free of the water they've been rinsed in, they are still in the bottom of the tub and not along the sides as they usually are. Also, I have tried lifting the lid during the spin cycle to see if the tub is spinning. Of course, my washing machine has the feature that when you lift the lid, the tub stops spinning. From what I can tell, the machine is making the noise to spin but the tub is not actually spinning. I hope this makes sense.

Kathy
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
oh okay, can you watch this agitate by opening the lid? Or does it stop agitate when you open the lid also?I have the feeling your coupling Has broken, this is what makes the transmission spin, it is between the motor and transmission and I can send you a video on how to replace that, first thing you do is put this on a small load with no clothes and let it fill and start to agitate, open the lid and see if you can see it agitating, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan,
I have started a small load with no clothes in my washer. As soon as it fills and starts to agitate, I will open the lid to see if I can see it agitating. I'll get back to you in just a few moments. Thanks again for your help. We just got back from a short trip and I have a lot of clothes to wash.

Kathy
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay Kathy, let me know if the agitator is actually going back and forth, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan,
The agitator is going back and forth as if it is washing the clothes.

Kathy
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, this means the clutch is bad, the clutch only engages for spin, so it means since this is agitating the coupling is not the issue the clutch is. The clutch is like brake pads in your car and they wear out, this is the clutch assembly,it's not real expensive it's under $34.00 at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Clutch-Assembly/285785/2670 there is also a video at that link to show you how to replace this, it walk you through the whole process, if you have a local appliance repair company that sells parts nearby you can go in get one and just use the video to watch and install, the part number is, 285785 in cash you can get it locally, I hope this information is useful, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan,
Thank you very much for your help today. I have just one more question. Is this something my husband and I can do or do we need to call a repair person to do it? I know you've said it's easy to replace but my husband is a little "fix it" challenged. I just don't want to make it worse.

Kathy
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well if you watched the video you will see what needs to be done to replace this, if you feel your husband can't do it I would call the repair man to get it done, the video was pretty good though and if these any kind of handy he should be able to do it, he just needs to follow the video closely, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.