Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Fan continuously runs after lightning strike a few days ago.

Fan continuously runs after lightning strike a few days ago. Oven lights come on, but will not heat. Turned off breaker, but no luck changing this situation. Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Unfortunately this is bad, your oven control board is bad,

do you have home insurance? Usually an issue like this will be covered under your homeowners insurance, if not you will need to order and replace this yourself, you can order this at the following link, any kind a power surge through these control boards and they blow, hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If order the part, is this a simple repair or technical and difficult?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
It's not really technically difficult to replace this, these come with instructions. However you will need to get into the control panel to change it, here is a link to all the diagrams which will help you do this, and actually the control board is a lot cheaper at Sears I just noticed, I believe it's $187.00 so you may want to order it there and save some money I hope this information is helpful, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Homeowners deductible is about $3k, so that is out of the question. I'm guessing replacing the whole oven would be under $1k. With the part (markup from applicance company) and labor, would you say a local applicance company would charge around $400 for the repair? Any risk of crossing wires, not hooking up the board properly, etc...., if I do the job, or is it pretty straight forward? I don't mind doing the repair, but at the same time do not want to burn the house down. Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I understand, actually this is a pretty easy install, this has four plugs on it and they are all different so you can't put them on the wrong plug, pretty simple installation once you get it out, here is the backside of the control you can see how simple it is there is not a lot of wiring coming off of it or different quarter wrench connectors all over the place,I'm pretty confident you could take care of this yourself, is one of the easiest installs to do as far as the wiring goes, in appliance technician probably would charge you around $400 but I can't be sure I don't know what they charge for labor how much they back up the part whether they charge traveling time and hourly rates. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think I may go ahead and order it. Where is the panel typically located? Any tricks? Just shut off the breaker to prepare? Anything else?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
always shut off the breaker, then down the side of the oven door there are trim pieces you remove, there are screws at the bottom going in sideways remove them and slide the trim down by just pulling out at the bottom a little bit and slide them down off the control the top, underneath those there will be screws that hold the control panel assembly on, remove those and I believe this just lifts up on off the top, the control is right behind the keypad you touch to set the temperatures and so on, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Speaking to Sears on the phone and they are saying it sounds like the microcomputer, not the control board. Thoughts?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
What I showed you is the microcomputer it's also the control board, if you click this blue link it will take you to the Sears site and you will see what I'm talking about it's the same board, 186024/0022/664/Model-RBS275PDB11/1198/0125300?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=RBS275PDB11&subCompDesc=Control%20panel&brandDesc=WHIRLPOOL&modelDesc=BUILT-IN-OVEN,-ELECTRIC&blt=11 if you're thinking about calling Sears to replace this be careful, they charge a fortune in trip charge return trip charge and labor, if you have them replace it you're looking at about $500 or more trust me I know, they are told to go to your house charge you $79.95 for the service and then they hit you for a labor charge for checking and out and then they tell you they don't have the part with them in need to return with it, where they charge you $79.95 again coming back and then more labor so be careful doing that, you better off calling a local company and asking what they would charge to replace it, there is only one board in this range some call it a control board some call it the microcomputer, same part the part number is,(NNN) NNN-NNNN I hope this clarifies it for you, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I was just calling them to order the part. My Uncle and I will do the install. The lady at Sears was making sound different than what you stated. But, I am sure she has very little training and is not a technician. I will order the part number you listed above. Anything else you suggest I know prior to installation?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Not really, I have no other suggestions, like I said it's a pretty straightforward install once you get the control panel off, there are four screws holding the microcomputer in remove those remove the wire connectors and plug the new microcomputer in, that's basically it, I hope this helps, please don't forget to press the green accept button if you think I've helped, it's the only way I get paid, thanks and very best wishes, Bryan