Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

KitchenAid Supebra 30 Double Ovens - while using self-cleaning

KitchenAid Supebra 30" Double Ovens - while using self-cleaning cycle top oven over heated and failed. Repair service has replaced a sensor and now says they will have to try the computer board since none of the lights work. The oven door is locked. The repair service is not sure that this is all that is required. Trying to determine if others have had this repair and if buying new ovens is the best bet; the repair service is waiting for my answer before ordering the $300 computer board.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. Lets get started.

Can you get us the full model # ? thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have the model number since we can not get the top oven door to open - it remains locked.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The ovens are 11 years ago - installed when house was built.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay that's what I figured, I was hoping the technician had written it down for you or you have it on a slip that he gave you, this could be one of two things, on some Kitchen aid double ovens there is a high limit thermostat on the back of the ovens, this could be the issue and if not it's going to be the control itself, if nothing comes on the control node digital readout or anything its either the control or the thermostat, of course without a model number I can't be sure and I can't bring up the wiring diagram for it, since every oven is different and you don't have a model number I can't really tell you whether other people of had this issue but I can tell you that the two things I mentioned above are usually the problem, at least one of them is bad, what he needs to do is come back open the control panel and test for power to the control unit, if it's getting the power then it's bad, if not it's gonna be a problem between the main power to the oven and the control board, there is no other explanation for it, I would have can test for power to the board before you order it it's a simple process any has a voltmeter I'm sure if he doesn't you better call somebody else,, I wish I could do more but I hope this explanation helps, the technician just needs to check for power to the board, if it gets power it's bad. Thanks very best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

KitchenAid Superba Model KEBS207D

Oven still does not work (electronic control panel does not light up) even though the high temp sensor was replaced.

Serviceman came back yesterday and took the high temp sensor off and left without any further explanation. (Husband was there and did not pursue questions.) Did not state whether there was power to the control board. Did not remove panel at back of oven to the electrical circuitry and wiring.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Boy I'll tell you what he was either lazy or didn't know how to check this correctly, did he refund your money?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No - My husband paid the service call. My concern is still needing advice of how extensive of damage to the ovens - what could be the possible fix and cost? To replace the ovens with equivalent KitchenAid ovens is over $2,600.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
it could be as simple as the control panel thermal fuse, the transformer for the control, or the control itself, you need to get someone to test these things for continuity and power, the most expensive part (the control panel is $191.00, here the link to all the parts and diagrams, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kitchenaid-Parts/Wall-oven-Parts/Model-KEBS207DAL1/0593/0125300?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=KEBS207DAL1 thanks Bryan