Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We are having a problem with our ice maker not producing enough

Customer Question

We are having a problem with our ice maker not producing enough ice. For years it has worked well now it is giving us about 1/3 of a ice container full per day where as before it would fill the basket each night. We changed the valve in the back and that seemed to increase the water pressure a little but the production is about the same. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

If you look inside the refrigerator this should be a tag with the full model number on it, it will be on when the side walls or the ceiling, can you see if you can find that for me, also do you have a thermometer you could put in the freezer and tell me what the temperature is in the freezer? Let me know thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The unit is on my house boat in Bloomington, IN. So I can't look right now, I will be down again on Thursday night. We did turn the units freezer part up to 3.5 from 3. I thought I could get a part here in Indy before I went back down.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I would love the Tell you which part order but I'm not sure yet, the temperature has everything to do with how fast makes ice, if the freezer is not between 0 and 8° then the ice maker will run much slower, we need to find out if that's the case before we go further unfortunately, I don't want to have you buy parts that you don't need, do you remember the last time you with there if there was Frost at all on the back panel inside the freezer section? Behind your food? Like I said if the freezer is above 8° the ice maker will run much slower, you food will stay frozen but the ice maker needs to be at a certain temperature in order to run efficiently, I don't know how you want to handle this, if it's a Frost problem you can remove the back panel inside the freezer in defrost it with a hairdryer in this will make it run correctly temporarily for about three weeks before it frosts up again, but like I said I don't know what's causing that problem if that is the problem at all, if you want and you have a laptop you can bring with you can get back to me on Thursday and we can walk through a few tests and take a closer look at your issue, it's up to you, let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will take a thermometer down with me and check. We do not have frost but I have noticed that the frozen orange juice is not as hard as before so maybe the thing to do is have a neighbor turn it up to 4 and see if that helps. your thoughts.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Well you can try that, also have them tell you if there is any Frost at all on that back panel, asked them to feel it run it fingernail down it, it doesn't take much to raise the temperature in the freezer, turning it up may not help it may actually make it worse if there is a defrost issue, you could create more Frost which will warm up even more, have them check it for you and get back to me on it, about 90% of the time it's the temperature in the freezer that causes your issue so I'm pretty confident that's what's going on, I will be here off and on all day so just leave me a reply, also I will be on Thursday night probably till about eight o'clock I guess, so you can get back to me and I will help you work through the problem, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Bryan and I will take a look Thursday night. I asked my wife about the frost question and she she said she has not seen any frost.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay take a look Thursday night and get back to me, if I'm not on line I usually check my questions regularly though so just leave a reply and I will receive it, we can take it from there, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will do.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay talk then