Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Jenn Air Microwave, JMV8208BAS. Second time in 4 years it

Jenn Air Microwave, JMV8208BAS. Second time in 4 years it has a hum when the door is closed. We had it fixed once already for $400 two years ago. (The unit only cost $594). Can this be fixed at a reasonable cost? I am woefully disappointed in the unit! Best, Kathy

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

does the hum sound like a fan running?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it does. How did you know? Best, Kathy
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay in my response. I didn't think anyone would answer so quickly!
We have run into this many times, the amount you were charged last time seems excessive for the repair, what is happening is you have a bad door switch, when you close the door one of your door switches is not disengaging causing the fan to run as if the machine was running, this is very annoying but the door micro switches for this machine are only $5.50 apiece, there are usually just three and only one would need to be replaced, the total job should have run you under $100.00, if that's what he replaced last time. I would recommend calling other service companies and tell them that you already know what the issue is and ask how much it would cost to have one replaced, when you find somebody that's in the range I said I would have been come out and replace it, I hope this information is useful this is what the micro switch looks like, as you can see there's not much to it there are a couple of wires and usually these just snap right in so it's not a big deal to change one, however I don't recommend customers opening up the microwave and doing this themselves it can be dangerous, the high-voltage capacitor can hold a lethal amount of voltage even after these are unplugged, thanks very best wishes, Bryan