Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have an amana refrigerator model # XXXXX and it will

I have an amana refrigerator model # XXXXX and it will not cool or freeze

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Okay a couple of things I need to know before we get started on diagnosing your problem, first is the fan in the freezer section running? Second if you move the food in the freezer is there any Frost at all on the back panel inside the freezer behind the food? Let me know thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fan is running and it is not frosted
Okay if you pull a refrigerator away from the wall and get down near the bottom can you listen to see if there is a click or a buzz coming from the back? Have you heard any clicking or buzzing noises? If you have tools you can remove the bottom panel in the back in feel the compressor, is it hot, cold, or warm,? Doesn't seem to be vibrating like it's running? Also is the fan next to the compressor running? Let me know thanks, Bryan
I have to step out for a little bit I will probably be back in about an hour let me know what find, I will check when I get back, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The compressor is hot, the fan is running. There is also a buzzing noise that comes and goes.
Okay I am back, could you tell whether the compressor itself is vibrating like it's running?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the compressor is not vibrating
Okay so it's not starting, these can get hot and still not start you have a voltmeter? Do you think you can check for power going to the relay on the compressor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no I dont and know I cant....It does sound like the buzzing is coming from the compressor...just had my ear close to the compressor and it was more obvious when I heard the "clicking" noise...it clicks...like its trying to start, then buzzes for about 30 seconds then clicks again...like its turning off.
Okay great, well I mean great in is far as this tells me it's getting power so you will need the voltmeter, these refrigerators have famously bad relays on the compressor's, does the one on the side of the compressor look like this one? They use a lot of different styles of relays on these so yours may look a little different let me know if it looks the same though, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX if you have a flashlight you should be able to see it just fall the wiring going to the compressor and the relay is plugged right out the side of it,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no this one is white in color, lays on its side going into the compressor....doesnt seem to look like this
Like this one,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thats the one
Okay this one is especially prone to failure, what you need to do is remove it from the side of the compressor, of course unplug the refrigerator first, this just plugs right on to three posts on the compressor side, you can use a screwdriver to start getting it loose or usually you could just wiggled it off, once you get it off you can leave the wires attached to it just shake it if it rattles it's bad, also look for Burns on the inside of it the part that was closest to the compressor, sometimes you can smell them and they smell burnt, I guarantee this is your issue even if it doesn't rattle it's not starting the compressor, you can order one of these at the following link or pick one up locally if you have an appliance parts warehouse nearby, here is a link to the part if you want to order on line, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Overload/67002527/1007207 these are under $17.00 the part number is XXXXX case you want to go locally, 67002527, thanks and good job ! Bryan