Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Whirlpool combo freezer/refridgerator Type 21TFA model

I have a Whirlpool combo freezer/refridgerator
Type: 21TFA
model: ETIPHKXPQ01
serial: ES2131654
manufactured: 05/05

We are having issues with ice forming preventing proper flow between the freezer and refrigerator. I have to keep two buckets in the refrigerator to catch water dripping down from the freezer and the bottom of the freezer continues to have a layer of frozen ice sheet that needs to be removed.

Any ideas how we quickly can resolve and what might be creating this issue?

Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Okay which you have is a defrost drain issue, you need to remove the rear panel inside the freezer behind where your food was, when you get that off at the very bottom under the silver coils in the very center you will probably see a lot ice so you may not see the hole but there is a drain hole that has frozen up, when the water has nowhere to go it drips into the refrigerator section and also blocks off your vents going from the freezer to the refrigerator section, what you need to do is boil some water and pour over the ice until it all melts in the drain is clear and water drains freely, this is a common issue and we run into this a lot, just make sure when you pour the water once it cools off sop it up with a towel and then pour more boiling water on it, just pouring a little bit of boiling water will not clear it all the ice has to be gone get right down to the hole itself and keep putting water on it until it drains freely, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan