Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

ge spectra oven door wont unlock after self cleaning

Customer Question

ge spectra oven door won't unlock after self cleaning
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Do you have a full model number? Is this a freestanding range or wall oven?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it's a ge profile spectra electric freestanding range
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay if you open the bottom drawer there will be a tag with the model number on it can you get that to me? Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

let's cancel this. I think I need to schedule service if I want to be able to open the range door. It is electronically locked.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay great your door latch/lock assembly has failed, it will need to be replaced however you will need to get the door open to replace it and that's the hard part,which you will need to do is get a wire coat hanger and make a small hook at the end bend so you can get it between the door and the oven body, you must work it to catch the hook on the door latch assembly and pull it over jiggling the door while you do this, this is the only way we know how to get them open because the latch assembly is under the main glass top and you must lift the top to replace it but of course the screws go straight up into the top right with the door closes so you can't get at it without open the door, you pull the latch over to the left to get it unlatched, this is very difficult but needs to be done in order to get at the latch assembly to replace it, there is no buttons you could push to get this open the motor or one of the switches on the door latch assembly has failed therefore it needs to be replaced, here is a link where you can order the part, I hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do i pull the hook from left to right or right to left.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
right to left, like I said jiggle the door and pull out as you pull this over. hopefully you can avoid a service call if you can get this open.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

not having any luck with the coat hanger fashioned hook. I reach a point where I start feeling resistance, the light in the oven comes on, but then the coat hanger give way and the door returns to the lock position. any tricks you can pass my way to ensure a connection with the door handle hook?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
not really just start over at the right and work it over to the left, this is one of the most difficult tasks we face unfortunately, trial and error. these are geared to the motor and just jerking it over is the only way on this one, this doesn't always work however, have you tried putting this back into self clean for a minute and the canceling holding the door it tight to see if it unlocks ? you can try that, sometimes you get lucky. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already accepted your initial answer on Sunday. Didn't you get your $30. I ultimately couldn't fix it, but I know that you give me logical advice and want you to be paid.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I relieved it, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the message i get when i hit accept answer is that I already accepted the answer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yes we are all set thank you, Bryan