Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Kenmore HE3 front loading washer. Cloths are in washer and

Kenmore HE3 front loading washer. Cloths are in washer and door will not open.

I have tried to open with various settings. Electrical lights go on only but nothing engages.

I lifted up washer and it did start and drain water. Now nothing. I can't get to any entry

point. Do I need to spring the hinges on door if possible? Help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Look at the bottom front of your unit and tell me if there are three screws like in the drawing below.

Full Size Image

The Home Smithy :

Your screen may indicate that I have stepped out of the chat. Please do not be alarmed. I will recieve a notice at the top of my screen when you have replied.
Thank you.

Customer:

yes they are flush and can be taken out from straight on

The Home Smithy :

Ok go ahead and remove them. Pull the lower panel off and reach up inside near the door lock. You will feel a small tab. Pull down on it to unlock the door. You can then remove the clothes from the unit.

The Home Smithy :

I will need the model number from the lable just inside of the door once you get it open.

The Home Smithy :

I have to leave on a call. I have referred you to Bryan. He will help you get the lock changed.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

the home Smithy had to opt out I will see if I can help you, give me a few minutes I need to look a few things up, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need to get a different tool(like a star) end to get these 3 screws off.Do not really know what this tool is called?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
These are called torx bit screws, you can pick a cheap set up at Lowe's or any hardware store, once you get that front panel off you can reach up inside and pull the small ring at the bottom of the lock assembly to release the door, of course I don't have a model number yet because it's inside the door but it should be this lock assembly, the ring is on the right side in the picture but it faces down when this is installed of the machine so just pull one that little ring and pull it down, once you get it down take your clothes out and let me know if there is water remaining in the bottom of the machine, this is important to see whether this is a drain issue or a door lock issue, let me know when you get that done, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Got panel off and door open. Clothes have not gone through spin cycle. Yes water remains rather full and clothes are completely wet.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay great, this means more than likely your drain pump trap is clogged, it's not drain the water and therefore will not unlock with water in it. You will see a cap usually white or off-white you can turn to pull the trap out and clean it, however be aware there will be a lot of water in this and if you just pull it out you will flood your laundry room, try to get as much water out of the inside as possible, what I normally do is tip the machine back and leaned against the wall to get the water into the back of the tub so I can get it out, I don't know if yours is on a pedestal or not if it is tipping this may be difficult, in that case I would open the drawer and get a container in there to catch the water and then unscrew the cap slowly let the water run out before removing the trap, clean the trap out good and put it back in, try the machine again all almost bet it will run correctly if there was a clog in the trap, this means no parts needs to be replaced, the pump will look similar to this one although it may be white instead, and this picture is upside down from the way it will look in the machine, hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This morning I was able to get washer to drain a little when I lifted it up.

My machine is on the petestal drawer. I have a smaller area for this machine than shouldbe. However, it is workable.

I have now lifted machine and leaned it on it's back two legs.

Nothing happened!!!

Is it something to do with the small drain from this morning??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is more information needed from me?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sorry I was out. well what you tip this back for is to get the water to go to the back of the tub so you can scoop some out so theres not so much when you open the trap to clean it. have you taken the trap out yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just got the water scooped out. Now is it time to slowly remove white cap and drain??

Is the trap down within this cap?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yes unscrew the cap slowly and the pull it out, thats the trap.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how much water can I expect?? Then I guess I try system to see if this was it?

Hope this is it. Thank you for your knowledge. Can I ask another question if necessary within 7 days free of charge??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how much water can I expect when I open trap?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sorry had to run out, that depends on how much water you were able to get out of the tub, like I said what you should do is put a large bowl under the trap so when you open the water can go into the bowl, if the bowl fills up then turn the trap back in and to the bowl and do it until you get any more water coming out, then you can pull the trap out completely check it, thanks, Bryan