Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi, I have a Frididaire washing machine that has been in

I have a Frididaire washing machine that has been in use for apx 1 yr.
It is a front-loader MD# XXXXX I had it stored new after I bought it for apx 1yr,
been in use for about a year......everything working fine until yesterday I loaded it for
service and nothing happened.

The front digital lights all come on, no blinking err-code displayed, but will not fill
in any position-selection, HOT or COLD. I unloaded, tried half load and tried no load,
same thing.

I pulled the cold water hose, plenty of water, the little plastic screen looks new,
no junk there. The drain hose is clear, is about 5' from floor. Again, everything
worked fine until all of a sudden.

The machine is perfectly level.

We do have rain/lightening storms often here.

I wiggle the door and get a funny electrical sound ... like the Gong show
but other wiggles produce a "spurt" of water coming in, like the hose
filler will "jump" a little but that's all.....just a few drops of water
splash on inside front..

I'm at wits end ... any ideas?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

If you wiggle the door and get a reaction as brief as it may be it means door switch has failed, you can order it at the following link, there is also a video there that shows you how to replace it, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

you will need to replace this

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

well of course I've suspected that but won't know until I go buy and install it right?

Is there anyway to confirm it?, like can I just short it out somehow

or test it w/meter?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Not really, these door switches have what's called a wax motor on them, this wax motor is like a little gear motor that locks the door and also engages the contacts inside the switch you can't force this locked it needs to be done by the wax motor, if the door is locking however the wax motor is good but it comes with the switch anyway but you can't get at switch to test it once it's locked, if you know what I mean, if you look at this picture you will see why you cannot test it,there are a lot of connectors that go different aspects of the machine so you may get a false reading also, we replace these all the time and from what you are telling me wiggling the door does make some kind of electrical response it's for sure the door switch assembly, hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok guy, would you please give me the part number and and how to open the machine and I'll be on my way

to try and find one? I need to get my stuff cleaned this weekend coz

I may be able to start a job (not appl-repair:) very soon here in Fla.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Sure the part number isNNN-NN-NNNNmost appliance parts companies will have these in stock, you can pull the switch and bring it with you but I think they will tell you the same thing I did you can't be tested but maybe somebody's a lot smarter than me, LOL, well wishes and thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, thanks Bryan, I'll take your advice and see what happens.