Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
18559950

I have a GE profile microwave that trips the house breaker

Customer Question

I have a GE profile microwave that trips the house breaker when I open the door
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. May I have the model number of the unit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

JE2160SF03

Note; I have already replaced the fuse in the unit

Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.
Okay, what you need to do is to lower the control panel again and look at the door switches. There is 3 of them. 2 actual door switches and one safety switch. Look at them to see if there isn't any damage. Do you have a meter to test for continuity? Also make sure you unplug the microwave before you look at the switches.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have looked at the switches and do not see any damage. I do have a meter to test. Can you provide proper technique to test each one?
Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.
Okay what you need to do is to take off the lead going to each switch (making sure you note EXACTLY where each wire goes. Test each switch for continuity and make note of the reading. With the door closed, 2 should read closed and the third switch should read open. Then open the door and 2 switches should read open and the third should read closed. Are you with me so far?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I believe so, when you say open, I should get a reading on the meter, correct? and the 2 that read closed should read open after opening the door?
Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.

Okay, when I say it read open, that means it read infinite resistance. When I say it reads closed it means it should read 0 or as close to 0 ohms. And the 2 that read closed when the door is closed should read open when the door is open.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
working on it now. the setting on the meter?x10 or x1k? those are my only choices for ohms
Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.
Go with the x10 that way you can see if it reads 0 ohms better when the switches are suppose to be closed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

checking now, may be a few mins, thx

Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.
No problem I will be here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok. Door Closed Door Open

switch1 0 ohms infinite

switch2 2 3.5

switch3 0 0

is that possible?

Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.

Okay, did you disconnect the wires going to the switches first? Also, let me get this straight. Switch 1 read 0 closed and infinite open

Switch 2 read 2 ohms closed and 3.5 ohms open

Switch 3 read 0 ohms closed and 0 ohms open

Do I have them correct and if so can you reread them. They are not reading correctly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry about that, you have it correct. I did not disconnect the wires, they were not coming off. I can try again
Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.

Okay , to take the wires off you will probably need needle nose pliers as each connector has a little clip that needs to be pressed to take off. If not be careful and use a flat tip screwdriver to pry off. Do that and let me know the readings again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

alright,

switch1: 0 closed , infinite open

switch2: infinite closed, infinite closed

switch3: 0 closed, 0 open

strange

Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.

Okay, if your reading are correct then switch 2 and 3 are bad. They need to be replaced to correct you issue. Switch 2 is a safety switch which checks to make sure the other 2 are working correctly. Switch 2 should read Infinite closed and O ohms open. Switch 3 should read exactly like switch one. I recommend that you replace all 3 since you have to replace 2 of them. I am sending you a diagram and Switch 1 is #1445 on the diagram, switch 2 is #2010 and switch 3 is #1446 on the diagram. Hope this helps and I thank you for your time and patience, Randy.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/GE-Parts/Microwave-Parts/Model-JE2160SF03/0432/0123245/G0604211/00001?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=JE2160SF03

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there are 4 switches actually, there are 2 part 1446 (1 has 2 leeds, 1 has 3 leeds)

from the diagram, i was calling the 2 part 1446's switch 1 & 2 and 2100 switch 3

I have now tested part 1445, it tested as 0 ohms open and 0 ohms closed

Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.
Okay I just a second look and I missed the switch that was on the outside to make your 4th switch. When you test the switches make sure one of your leads is always on the leg called COM. If 1445 tested 0 with the door open and close then the switch is bad.