Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My washer has become unresponsive. I am wondering if it has

My washer has become unresponsive. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the power company replacing the meter to a "smart" meter, as the washer and garage door became immediately unresponsive.... What steps can I take to get the washer reacting again? The washer is a Whirlpool Stylemaster(NNN) NNN-NNNNRev. B.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. Iets get started.

A couple of things, one your model number is XXXXX coming up can you recheck that, two is this a top load? Is it electronic control or does it have a dial you turn? If this is a top load open the lid and look towards the back in the center between the hinges on each side, the model number should be right in the middle on a tag, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, Bryan. The model # XXXXX XXXXX It is a Whirlpool Stylemaster No.(NNN) NNN-NNNNRev. B
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a topload. It hasa dial to turn.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay great I've got your model up, let me take a look at this and I will be back shortly, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay, some of these machines will not do anything if the lid switch has failed, do you have a voltmeter? If you do you would need to test the lid switch, if the lid switch tests good then your timer has failed, this would not be unusual if you had a problem with a power surge which sounds like you did according to what you're saying, I am giving you a link that shows you how to test the switch, you can also order the switch if it turns out to be bad at the same link, if the switch turns out to be good your timer is the issue, here is a link to order that need it, I sure hope it is the lid switch though, the timer is $120.00, hope this information is useful, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you think a person with little experience, but follow through could do this by herself? I am trying to save money am wondering if I should hire a repairman and just order the parts?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Well unless you are familiar with voltmeters and you would be able to take this machine apart and have the tools to do so I wouldn't go order anything unless you are sure of the problem, you can't really test the timer but there are only two things that can do this, either the lid switch or the timer, from what I'm looking at in your machine there are no fuses that could blow and cause this issue so that leaves the lid switch and the timer, but because of the cost of the timer you don't want to make a mistake and I don't want to point you in the wrong direction unintentionally, you don't want to just order both parts and put them in, if there was a big enough power surge while they were doing this they could've also possibly and that's a long shot that a wire has burned inside the machine, which would still require taking the cabinet off and tracing all the wires to see if one has burnt or broken, I wish there was an easy answer to give you but just replacing parts without knowing can be more expensive than having a technician look at this, I know money is tight for everyone nowadays but ordering the wrong part could cost you more in the long run, hope this helps, thanks and very best wishes, Bryan