Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

the ice maker in our amanna refrig is malfunctiong. the ice

the ice maker in our amanna refrig is malfunctiong. the ice ejecter shoves the ice almost out an then stops. the ice is stuck and don't quite come out and then freeses. what is the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

can you recheck the model # ? its not comming up, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
model 5cd722hl
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I can't get any of these numbers to come up but let's try a few things anyway, on your icemaker there is a front cover it's white, this cover pops off you may need a screwdriver or a knife to get it to start to pop off but then it just pulls off, have the refrigerator unplugged when you do this, behind it you are going to see this, there are two tabs in the center of the main gear (white) is one of these tabs broken off? Is the gear loose? Let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no the geag is not loose
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay what position the fingers in the icemaker at right now? 10 o'clock 12 o'clock can you tell? Since you took this cover off has it cycled that all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the ice is in position to pop out and the fingers are under it
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay so the ice is actually up on top of the fingers in the fingers are probably in the say nine o'clock position? If so you need to replace the part I showed you above, yours does look just like the one I showed you above is that correct? What happened is this is called the icemaker module and it has died halfway through the cycle, there is a motor on it on the backside, the motor has died on it but you can't just replace the motor you will need to replace the module it comes with the motor on it, you can order this at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Module/W10190935/1469018 it's best to remove the icemaker from the refrigerator while doing this, this will take care of your problem, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have taken the unit out and the motor seems to still run. does the motor run all the time? I wondered if the heater shut off too soon and the ice froze at the top of the chute.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well if the ice is at the top it's already been released so the heater had to come on and release the ice but from what I am getting from you is the ice is near the top of the icemaker or is it still halfway in the bottom? The heater will not stop the motor once the ice is released this will complete a full turn in the ice will slide down into the auger assembly and at about the one oclock position the icemaker will filled with water and this should stop just about straight across, in other words the fingers would almost be flat along the top and to the right, the motor does not run all the time there is a thermostat that controls when the motor comes on once it senses the ice is at the right temperature and frozen, this will trigger the cycle, but it should never stop halfway once the cycle has started it always completes goes all the way around and pushes the ice out and does what I said above so the heater is not the issue as far as from what you're saying,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I took it back out and one of the fingers in the middle of the wheel is broken off. would this be enough to stall the mechanism?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
One of the fingers in the middle of the gear is broken? Is that what you're saying?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes the other seems to be holding the gear in place. the ice seems to freeze right on the top of the chute when i warmed it up then the fingers come to about straight up position after the ice came out.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes that's exactly what I said then, you need to replace that module, that gear and motor and everything is all on the module, you will need to replace it, at least you got to the bottom of it, this is a common occurrence on these icemaker's, those little tabs are just plastic and break easily, it may have been an ice cube.jammed at one point and started the braking process on that little finger so replace the module and you're all set, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.