Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have an intermittent Ice making problem with a Jenn Air JCD2389GES.

I have an intermittent Ice making problem with a Jenn Air JCD2389GES. The supply line has been checked and is not frozen. The ice maker fills with water - sometimes, so I don't think it is the water valve - although I bought one - have not replaced it yet so I can return it if necessary. Funny enough, moving the refrigerator out from the wall to work on it seems to trigger ice making? I am now thinking the control module is what needs replacing. Anyone feel like tackling this one?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 3 years ago.

Sounds like you have a faulty ice maker. Are you familiar with using a insulated jumper wire?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can be...although I don't know if I have anything here that I could use
Ok you can get one though right? Below is a video that shows how to jump the ice maker.

Click Here

Jump the ice maker if it turns then the valve is bad if it does not the valve is bad. You can also jump the L to V on the front of the ice maker and that will activate the water valve. With L to V jumped water should shoot up if so the ice maker is bad..

Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I have the wire I need. You said to jump the icemaker, then to jump the water valve, but only described what contacts to use for the water valve test. Would you let me know which contacts would cycle the maker?
The video link I sent explained this in detail. The contact T to H should jump the ice maker and send it into a manual harvest cycle.

Pressing accept pays me for my time, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, sorry about that, I looked at video again and saw that info. So, when jumping the icemaker - it cycles just fine - kicks out the made ice, refills with water and then moves the arm back into position. When jumping the water valve, it sent water into the icemaker as it should. I am really at a loss. The intermittent working is for real....i don't want to throw good money at the wrong replacement part just to find out I needed something else.
The ice maker is bad. The motor is going out thats why we have the intermittent issue. They both test good but the ice maker is the only thing that would cause this issue.

The ice maker is on sale at the link below.

Click Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
could I just replace the control module? this is a $30 part as opposed to a $100 part?
Do you have the part number you are referring to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Whirlpool W10190935
Yes, that will do just fine. That is the ice maker motor/timer. It adds a bit more work but is cheaper. $30 is cheap for that part the cheapest I can find it for is $60 Click Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You are right. I was thinking of another part I thougt would do the trick. I have been down so many roads with this it is all just a jumble of info in my head right now. I was able to find one for 50.00 shipped through amazon. Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate your time. I was able to
Yes, you are very welcome friend.

Experience: Factory Trained CFC Technician