Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

Hi, I have a Maytag Neptune MDE9700AYW dryer, runs but no heat.

Hi, I have a Maytag Neptune MDE9700AYW dryer, runs but no heat. I have checked all sensors such as thermistor and thermal fuses and the coils for resistance, everything normal. The dryer is getting 120 and 240V in, checked at the block. Any advice how to proceed?
Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 3 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

when you checked the power at the block, did you get 110v from outside prong to center prong and then 110v from other outside prong to center prong and 220v from outside to outside prong?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you sir, yes that is correct
did you remove the heating element and check if it zero out from prong to prong unplugged
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Exactly, removed, inspected and checked impedance, approx 10 ohms. Both thermal elements on the element housing tested 0 ohm

does it run and turn but just don't heat?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, everything normal except it won't heat. Checked if air is blowing, no clogging of tubes etc.
the PCB (power control board) inside the control panel will need to be replaced, its part number 35001153 and cost about $167 .,,, you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer near you ,, thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, how can you be so sure? Is it inside the front control panel where all the buttons are or inside the machine? Can it be tested before I invest $167?
Thanks.
know of not way to test it since its a circuit board, its inside the panel where the buttons are and its either that or the motor and if it was the motor it would be pulling power which it isn't ,,, leaving for the day but be back in the morning if you still need me ,, thanks
i see you have not press the accept button yet and I'm about to go off line so if you still have questions please ask now ,,, thanks
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Larry, just to let you know for your "data bank", I fixed the problem last night. After some googeling, I found a possible sourch with is a stuck motor switch. When the drum speeds up, it lifts a mechanical lever which breaks a mechanical sensor mounted under the lever which opens power to the coils. Sometimes, dust builds up in this area and causes the sensor not to activate. The solution was simply to vacuum clean the area and the machine worked!

Glad I did not invest in the PCB board and by the way it is located inside the machine, just under the top cover.