Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Drying was working fine yesterday. Loaded it today and its

Drying was working fine yesterday. Loaded it today and it’s not working. No sounds expect for the timer has a light sound. Appears to be working.
220/208v ok to the dryer
Manually pushing the door switch will turn off the light
Drum belt is attached and tight
I do not see any disconnected wire connections.

Model No. MED5740TQ0
Serial No. MW1417194

Jack Downey XXX-XXX-XXXX XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

do you have a volt meter ? can you check continuity to the thermal fuse if I tell you how?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay great. , this is was you need to check, its part #7 on this diagram, unplug the dryer and move it away from the wall. rtemove the back panel and on the blower to the left side you will wee the thermal fuse, watch this video on how to test it, video click the blue link then click watch video, let me know if thats bad. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
continuity is ok.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok , you removed the wires from it before testing correct? next test the door switch, even if the light comes on doesnt mean its good, . heres the door switch test. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Switch-Assembly/3406107/528948?modelNumber=MED5740TQ0
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The video shows how to replace. How do I test to see if it's the problem
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
you basicly test it the same way you tested the thermal fuse, sorry I sent you the wrong video, anyway unplug the switch and you will see 3 pins. test the outer pin against the other two, on at a time and press the switch in, you should get continuity through one pine when its pushed and the other when its not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Condinuity for both

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay, we can eleininate that ithose then, it gets alot tougher from here though. you need to test the start switch, those are more difficult to test, you have to find which two have continuity when its pushed in. see if you can check that, there is a diagram on the switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hard to read the diagram. The connection at the tip of the triangle (? R1) will has continuity to both of the other two when the swiched is pressed and the separate smaller one at the bottom. The two side by side have a continuous continuity.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay that sound fine also. well your down to the timer (most likely) or the motor. on the top of the heating element in the back there is one more thermostat on the side top. not the red and white one at the bottom, test that, I dont believe in this machine however this would stop the dryer from starting, I believe its just a high limit for the heater but check it for continuity anyway.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's ok
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well all thats left is like I said the timer or the motor, test for 120 volts going to the motor when you push the start button if you get it then its the motor if not its the timer, the timer is more common on these, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where to I test for the power to the motor? If there is power to the motor do I need to hold down the start switch as I'm testing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan, I will need to leave this computer/e-mail address soon. Please email to my blackberry at - XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

I tested the black and red connection on the left (facing) side of the timer. No power with or with out the start switch on and the timer running.

With me leaving this email address, how do I finish, accept the answer and get you paid? My phone XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry I was offline , company stopped by, thats what I thought, your timer is bad, heres a link to the timer,, timer when you come back on you can press accept, I cant email you unfortunetly its against policy. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.