Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My frigidaire gallery model glrt183... refrigerator will not

My frigidaire gallery model glrt183... refrigerator will not cool enough and freezer had lots of frost on back wall.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

you have a defrost issue in this. you will need to take the back panel off inside the freezer behind your food and take a hair dryer and defrost all of the frost on the evaporator coils first thing, then you need to replace one of three parts, do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response. I cannot continue troubleshooting today due to a family engagement we are late for but would like to continue tomorrow afternoon (my earliest next opportunity).

Hope you are available then or later tomorrow to respond after I am able to further investigate.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sure I will be on after 1 pm est, talk then, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan, sorry about not responding til now. The fridge (our basement/beer fridge obviously) got put on the back burner for a while. now, i have a craftsman digital multimeter but not a manual and unsure about operation besides continuity check.

Freezer still works well and is full. I don't want to pack a cooler until I have steps to check and find problem. Time is issue with cooler packed w/ lots of frozen goods as you know.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay well what you need to do is remove the food and check both the defrost thermostat which is clipped to the top of the evaporator coils ( silver coils behind the panel inside the freezer) this needs to be checked for continuity while it's cold, it's very important that you leave it on the coils and it is cold in order to test this because it's only gonna have continuity when it's cold that's the whole idea behind this thermostat, when the heater defrost the coils the thermostat senses the temperature rise and shuts the heater off so if it's warm this test will not work, make sure you unplug the refrigerator before trying any of this, if that checks out good then you need to check the heater itself, this runs along the bottom of the coils, this can be checked at anytime warm or cold it should have continuity as should be defrost thermostat, if both of those check out and you will need to replace the defrost timer itself, these are the only three parts in the defrost system that would cause your issue,I will be back in just a couple of minutes and give you a link to all of these parts, thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Here is a link to all of the parts, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks. I am defrosting the coils now. Lots of frost and ice. Do I need to run the fridge again before checking continuity of thermostat?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry I was off line, yes I would run the refrigerator for about half an hour and let the coils Frost again so the thermostat gets cold then you can test that, you may need to cut the wires on this one I'm not sure so you will need to wire caps to put it back together, just cut the two wires far enough away from the thermostat so you can reconnect them strip the back let the refrigerator get cold and then test the thermostat, I'm pretty sure that's gonna be the issue, about 70% of the time it's the thermostat, thanks and best wishes, Bryan