Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

G E Fridge is not holding the set temperature

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

your main control board has failed, G.E. has had to re design these boards because of failure. the part # XXXXX XXXXX WR55X10942,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so do I have to call in a sevice man to get this changed
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

you could do this yourself although you will need toi order the board in Canada , its expensive to have shipped from here ,its on the back of the reefrigerator behind an 8x10" cover and just plugs in, it comes with instructions, just pull the refrigerator away from the wall and you will see the cover, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the 30 dollars a one time thing? Meaning if I get the board will I still have you to talk to for a period of time, if I still have problems?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
you have 30 days after you accept to come back if you need more assistance, this is a common issue in these and i'm sure you will find it works. thanks . Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bryan we are still waiting on the part to come from the USA. We ordered it last week and hopefully it will be here this week sometime. Once it arrives we will replace it and let you know the outcome.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay that's just fine, just let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bryan, the part came and I replaced it, left the fridge overnight and this morning still no change. I followed all the instuctions including cutting the green wire from the capacitor for the bottom freezer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Is the temp lower high ? When the mean is it warmer than it should be or colder? Sorry I was out today I just got back in, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No problem, the fridge temp is very high 45 c and the freezer is -4c
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Is there any Frost on the back panel in the freezer at all? Inside behind the food.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Is the fan in the freezer running? You feel any cold air coming in the vents at the top and the refrigerator section or maybe in the middle on this one I can't be sure by the diagrams but with the air comes through the feel any coming into the refrigerator section?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Bryan I thought you meant the fridge. I just checked the freezer and to look at it I would have said no but when I put my hand back I could feel some frost.

and I meant the temps were fahrenheit.

There is no cold air coming into the fridge part at all. The freezer is still running and the food is frozen.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, what is happened is when the board goes the freezer tends to freeze up behind the panel and you will need to remove the back panel inside the freezer which means remove in the ice maker and all and take a hairdryer to the coils, defrost the coils completely and put this back together, this may take a little time say overnighter so to stabilize but it should run fine after that, if the board was an going into defrost before now it will but there's too much Frost for to defrost in the allotted time, so you will need to clean it out once first, don't use anything but a hairdryer like don't chip away at it or anything like that is you can poke a hole in the evaporator and then you're in trouble, just use a hairdryer in defrost it completely but you must remove the panel you can't just defrost the outer part of the panel there is a lot of Frost behind the panel that needs to be defrosted, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I will give that a try. I dont have an ice maker and I am not sure what panel to take off. I have taken a panel off the back to cut the green wire as per the circuit board instuctions is that the panel. I can see coils but no ice. I understand there could be ice behind where I can't see. Would leaving it unplugged over night do the same thing?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
No I mean inside the freezer, it's difficult on yours doesn't the bottom freezer but there are screws and usually the centerpiece has to little clips holding it in the white plastic part in the middle inside the freezer, it's behind this panel there will be Frost, they can be a pain in the neck, you can leave and unplugged overnight usually takes 24 hours however but if you leave the door open and possibly put a hairdryer in there it will help defrosted, usually we take the back panel inside the freezer off and clear the Frost from the evaporator coils which are like I said behind that panel, let me know tomorrow if unplugging it leaving the door open does it. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks Bryan will be in touch.

Freda

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay no problem, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bryan we decided to go for it. We got the panel off and defrosted the coils with the hairdyer. We have gotten everything back together. Do we plug it in right away?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes plug it in right away I'm sorry I keep having Internet problems we have satellite and it's the real cloudy, did you find a lot of Frost on the coils? I'm going to try and stay on here it doesn't get interrupted again let me know if so you can order just leave me a message and I will receive it, it looks like you answered about an hour ago so you should be seen a difference by now, let me know thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes Bryan it took us about 45 mins to defrost the coils. We managed to get everything back together and plugged it in. Right now it is trying to cool down the freezer as it was 72 degrees. I will let you know tomorrow how it all looks. The freezer is now at 50 degrees so by tomorrow morning there should be some change. I will let you go for now and enjoy your night. Thank you so much for your help so far.

Freda

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

You're welcome, talk tomorrow, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan, unfortunately it did not work the freezer is now -19 and the fridge +40

there is still no cool air coming into the fridge.

Freda

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
it seems a little colder now, there has to be frost buildup in the damper assembly inside the fresh food section, behind this center panel,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
can you get to that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found it n

and took it off, there was no ice behinde it. It is just plastic with a vent in the bottom coming from the freezer. there is cold air coming from that vent.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay inside that there is a damper that opens and closes is that stuck?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it seems to be stuck in the open position at the moment. I tried to open it and can not do it
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well don't force that it has a motor that opens and closes it, this does plug in correct? it has a plug? it doesn't show much on the diagrams.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes there is a plug that prevents me frpm taking it completely out
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well with it being wide open this would freeze the fresh food section but there is a mp sensor in the fresh food section that opens and closes it, when you have the door open the damper will open to lets more air in, it seems that is working. try leaving the damper loose so the air flows without it for a couple of hours and see if the temp comes down. let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will do thanks again Bryan.....

Freda

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
your welcome, I'm sorry your having so many problems with this, after you leave it for a while check and see if the damper closed the minute you open the door to check, its important we know if its moving.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will do
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, talk in a few hours, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi Bryan, the fridge is now +35 and the freezer +9 i did not put the panel back on and did not hear the damper either open or close....
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Sounds like that dampers not opening for some reason, I will be off-line for a little while, what you can try is you still have the part off I would take a look and push the light button in and watch the damper see if it moves, that should be opening and shutting, one thing is you don't want to leave that off too long because it will freeze things in the refrigerator section, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got the damper to work once or twice so I will leave it for now. I have the panel in place but not screwed in. I will be in touch tomorrow thanks again Bryan..

Freda

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I will stick with you until we get to the bottom of this, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

good morning Bryan, fridge is +35 and freezer 0. so looking good so far

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Very good, there may have been a loose connection or possibly just defrosting that seems to done the trick, let me know if you need further assistance, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hy Bryan I guess I spoke too soon. the temperature is jumping around although not nearly as bad as it was. the freezer is +2 and the fridge +31. the other thing is the door does not hold the vacuum it opens very easily..

Freda

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan, I have been away for a week. the fridge is holding the temps but does not have the vacuum that hold the door solidly closed. with the result the door opens very easily.Even though the temperature is holding the stuff does not feel very cold.

Freda

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay , definitely if the doors are not sealing tightly this will cause your issue, you are drawing in warm air from the outside, it sounds like your doors are not adjusted correctly for your gaskets are stiff and do not seal, what I would do first is take a hairdryer and go all the way around both door gaskets warming them up and getting them pliable so they seal when you shut the door, when you warm them up they become more pliable and create a better seal, if that doesn't work then you doors will need to be adjusted so they shut correctly, I'm very surprised that the technicians to check that when there were out there, warm the gaskets up real good and press the doors in as you go so they start to conform to the refrigerator itself, this should help the seals conform to the refrigerator, try that let me know how it works, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan, still trying the hair dryer not much success so far but will keep trying. This happened when the fridge was off for a while over the course of this on going problem. Thanks again for your help.

Freda

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay let me know, was this unplugged while you were gone?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no just for afew days while we were changing the board and melting the ice..
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well the doors not sealing is not good, you may have to adjust the hinges.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Bryan how would I adjust the hinges?

Freda

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry I was off line, well at the very top refrigerator there caps over the hinges usually need to remove those caps and loosen the hinge screws, then move the door until it's seems like it's sits much tighter usually have to go out a little bit with the hinge, there are slots in the hinge to allow this when you get it sitting level (the door) and the gaskets seem to be seated correctly tighten up the screws, try opening and shutting the door make sure it works correctly, if it's catching on the bottom however you may need to put spacers behind the hinge pin the bottom out little bit not so far as to leave the between the gasket in the refrigerator, it's really just a matter of playing with it until you get them seating correctly, hope this helps thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

found the screws but that is all there are two slots but nothing in them to move forward. I have tried to loosen the screws but only managed a millimeter or so will keep at it and get back to you tomorrow.

Freda

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hy Bryan, we have worked at the fridge and I don't think it is going to get any better. Both fridge and freezer are holding the correct temperatures just the door does not hold the vacuum. If I push it closed it seems to be ok I just have to remember to do that and have the family do it to. Thank you again for all your help.

Can you let me know where I go to leave comments?

Freda

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
to tell you the truth I'm not sure how you leave feedback , Ive never seen your end of this, there must be a feedback button you use though on your end, thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you have been a great help Bryan, I will definately recommend you to others.

the very best wishes to you also.

Freda

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan have I any time left on the original problem? if so I have found the fridge is registering 33 f but is not correct. I bought a fridge thermometer and it is showing 60 degrees even though the temperature is showing 33 on the fridge read out. I took the back off again and there is cold air coming through. Before I call the service guy out do you have any more suggestions? Milk has gone off and butter is melting so I know the temp is not correct.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well at this point to be honest because parts get to be real expensive for these I would call it technician unfortunately and let them see what the issue may be, it could be a sensor or a number of other things, I really wish I could help more but unfortunately on line it's very difficult and a lot of the things need to be tested in certain ways that I could never explain on line, sorry, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem Bryan thanks again for all your help.

Freda

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Your very welcome, unfortunately with all the electronics in these new refrigerators it's extremely difficult sometimes to narrow it down to one part, I apologize thanks very best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan, I thought I would fill you in on the fridge saga. The technician came out on Tuesday and checked the fridge. I told him all that we had done and he thought it was the damper. Ordered a new damper to the tune of $300 to install plus the $100 call out. He left and the next morning the fridge was still not holding cold air. Another tech came out and this time he did a diagnostic and said it was the main control board. Turns out I had not cut the wire on the main control board. I did the one on the fridge but missed the one on the control board. So to cut a long story short I wanted you to know that you were right the first time. I just have to read all the instructions. ( the last tech said I should be able to get my money back for the damper since that was not the problem)

Have a great day.

Freda

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well thats a shame you had to call someone, I'm sorry I should have mentioned that sometimes you need to cut the thermistor wire on some models, I assumed you would have read that, sorry. thanks Bryan