Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a whirlpool. I build up in the freezer section all

I have a whirlpool. I build up in the freezer section all the time. It won't go down the tube in the back of the freezer because the water freezes up to fast. What can I do to repair this problem?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

this is a huge problem in these. theres not a lot you can do to prevent this, the only thing you can try is get a piece of bare copper wire and wrap it around the defrost heater under the coils in the freezer and put it it the drian hole , when the defrost heater comes on it will heat the wire and keep the hole clear, you only need to go down the hole about an inch. thats the only thing you can try, when you defrosted the ice with boiling water was it draining quickly dpown the hole or was it slow?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your quick reply. The boiling water went down rather quickly. I don't think there was any other blockage. Where do I find the defrost heater and how do I get to it?
sorry remove the back panel inside the freezer behind you food again and the heater is # XXXXX on the diagram, its a calrod heater (looks like a bake element in an oven) thanks Bryan