Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag electric double oven Model CWE5500BCB. The

I have a Maytag electric double oven Model CWE5500BCB. The top oven is not heating anymore and sparks when turned on. The sparks are coming from the vent hood area. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

if this is sparking from behind the top grill area it may be there is a shorted wire behind the grill, your biggest issue with this is if its not a wirring problem the parts for this are no longer available, I would have a tech check the wirring, hopefully its just a shorted wire, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How does a working wire end up getting shorted? I am trying to avoid calling a tech. How do I identify a shorted wire?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
wires can get old and frayed, sometimes they can short out, you would need to shut the breaker off and remove the grill along the to and the control panel, check for a bad wire or connector.