Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Horrible knocking sound and out of control balance problems

Customer Question

Horrible knocking sound and out of control balance problems with a Frigidaire Tumble Action Laundry Center washer. Problem occurs no matter the size of the load and even empty. I found and replaced a broken shock absorber, but that did not help so I figure it was broken as a result of the violent shaking.

Problem inside the drum?

Thanks, Jim
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

if you reach in and move the tub up and down and back and forth side to side does it feel loose, without moving the shocks just see if the tub feels loose, also try pulling it back and forth forward. let me know, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there is a bit of play back and forth with a metallic clap at each end. It feels more, but looking from the back appears to be only about 1/8th of an inch. Otherwise jiggling the tub seems to be absorbed by the shocks and the springs as the entire plastic container moves about. It always has surprised me how easy it is to jiggle the tub around though. Most other washers I've had seemed to have stiffer resistance.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well back and forth with a matelic clap is not good, and moving 1/8 of an inch is not good either, how long have you had this washer and how long has it been banging around?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's 10 years old. There has been an occasional balance issue in the past year when overloaded, but the knocking and rocking problem has come on pretty quickly in the last week and is now to the point of being unusable. What inside the drum casing is subject to catastrophic failure?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
the rear tub bearing is shot, now heres the bad news, this only comes with the complete rear tub assembly, they do not sell just the bearing, this is what you would need to replace. this alone is over $200.00 , and its a major job to replace, the whole machine has to come apart and split the tubs. sorry for the bad news. this is a common failure after that many years, hope this info helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is something I considered, but when I spin the drum (using the belt pulley in back, the bearing action is very smooth and quiet. Does this affect your suspicion, or do you believe the bearing requires higher spin speeds to crap out?

Thanks for your insights.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
absolutely, it may seem fine when turning by hand but at high speed this movement causes the drum to wobble then start to bang, this can also break the shocks. in and out movement is the key. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks much Bryan. I appreciate your time and expertise.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
your very welcome, wish I had better news for you, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan, Apologies, I had hit the button after sending my last note. Don't know what happened. When I hit the Accept Button again, I get a note saying I've already accepted one answer. Let me know if this still hasn't come through.

I spent yesterday looking for a new washer and dryer, no fun, but hopefully I won't need to do it again soon.

Best Wishes, Jim

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
It came through thanks, no need to reply again uless you other questions, well wishes, Bryan