Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a whirlpool front loader ghw9100lw that will not spin.

I have a whirlpool front loader ghw9100lw that will not spin. it makes a noise like striped gears but I can't fing any thing like a gear box. Is it built into the motor and is it electrial? Or is the motor shot? John
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

does this drain?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it drains, I cleaned out the drain area sump. the drain pump works
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What next, will ur reply be email or here?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay this means the rear tub bearing is bad. unfortunately this bearing is only sold with the whole rear tub assembly, you cant buy the bearing seperatly,

Rear Drum with Bearing

Item #1058891 (OEM Part)

$209.95

Special Shipping Required

Rear outer tub with bearing and shaft seal

Manufacturer Number 285984

this is a huge job also its best to get a technician to replace this, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There dosen't appear to be a problem with the rear bearing. in the spin cycle the motor is running but the spindel on the motor is not turning the noise is in the moror not the rear bearing
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
the drive motor is turning but the pully on the motor isnt?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
niether is the shaft. It turns on the wash cycle but not the spin. the problen first occured about a month ago when it had a problem with heavy loads
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
is the door locking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the door is locking I just switched it to heavy duty and it started spinning and is still spinning, now i'm totally confused. is there anything that can wear out or strip.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
not really, I'm wondering if you have something between the inner and outer tub that may be jamming this up. sometimes even a coin can do this, maybe its come loose nothing else makes sense, let me know if you have further issues, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pretty sure nothing is jamming up the works. It is just finnishing up the heavy cycle and appears to be working fine. will try using the heavy duty cycle in the future and see what happens.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.