Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a amana side by side that is approximately 10 years

I have a amana side by side that is approximately 10 years old. It has never had a problem but now the water dispenser will not work and the freezer seems warm near the top shelves. Some drips are also noted from the bottom of the freezer door.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

can you get us the full model # XXXXX the inside of the refrigerator on either the side wall or the ceiling?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you know the temp in the freezer ? do you have a thermometer you can place on the top shelf in the freezer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i don't have a thermometer but feels warm in the freezer. In addition, it doesn't seem like we're getting that "blast of cold air" when we open it, like the motor isn't running on that side. Ice was somewhat melty this morning. Ice maker works but no water dispenser. Lights all work
ok , if you dont hear the fan running in the freezer thats one issue, the other issue the water not working is another, the two wont have anything to do with each other, the first thing you need to do is remove the back panel inside the freezer behind the food and shelves, and see if the fan is running at all, part # XXXXX on this diagram , let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are there 2 fans? i can feel air flow out of the bottom of the freezer and it is cold and frosted on bottom. Fan, however, does not appear to be running. see image....graphic
it seems the defrost thermostat at the top of the coils has failed in the middle of the defrost cycle, the frost pattern indicates that. this runs both the fan and the heater, if it fails the fan will stop, test for power to the fan if you have none replace the thermostat. you can order this @ thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does this explain the lack of water flow or to the water dispenser?
no, that is going to be one of two problems, 1 the water line in the door is frozen, this can be fixed by adding the dispenser heater, or 2 the water valve is bad. to determine this you need to disconect the water line in the front of the refrigerator behind the plastic grill under the doors aund put it in a bucket and try the water, if water goes into the bucket then the line is frozen in the door, make sure the door is shut when you try this, if no water comes out, check the valve in the back for power, if it gets power when you push for water then the valve is the issue, also one more this can cause this, the chiller behind the crisper inside the refrigerator section could be frozen, take a hair dryer to this and see if you can defrost it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well, after taking back panel off and screwing around(melting some ice I'm sure), now water working. Which problem would this indicate?
frozen in the freezer door, laeving it open for a while has defrosted that, is the fan running?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay did you test power to it?
if you get power to the fan replace the fan , if not replace the defrost thermostat. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
While trying to put my voltmeter on it I got a big shock of AC. If this is a sign of power to the fan, I'd say I have powerYell
were your hands wet ? hope your ok. anyway you need the fan then, you can order this @ thanks , and sorry to hear you got shocked, this happens to us all the time, make sure when replacing the fan the powers off. thanks, Bryan