repairman4734
repairman4734, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  38 years in self-employed major appliance & refrigeration service. Have 2 licenses to do refrig.

My whirlpool refridge stopped working after only 2 1/2 years My

My whirlpool refridge stopped working after only 2 1/2 years
My wife turned it to coldest setting it still may cool a little ice cubes are not solid after 24hrs but turning mushy any ideas. did vacuum coiles someone suggestion they where filthy
Category: Appliance
Expert:  repairman4734 replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is Farrell & I will be helping you with your problem today. Thanks for using just answer. I'm sorry, the model number you gave does not come up in the system. If you'll open the refrig. door and look on the wall, there is a sticker with the model number listed, I need that number to be able to help you. If its not there, remove the kickplate at the bottom, it may be on the frame. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you farrell my name is XXXXX XXXXX ET1PHKXPQ08
Hi Wayne, you did vacuum the condenser coils in the back, you said? That's needed and a start. Open the freezer door, look and see if you see white frosty ice on the back wall? Is the freezer fan running? Is the fan by the compressor running? Please advise on each of these, thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Only the coils in the front. There is protective cardboard in the back I can remove and vacuum there as well. it doesnt sound like there is a fan running, but if the compressor would be kind of a high pitched constant than yes I can hear that.
Hi Wayne, is there a fan noise running in the freezer?
Is there frosty white ice on the back wall?
Remove the cardboard panel in the back at the bottom. Is the fan motor running by the compressor? You can clean the back part of the coils while cover is off. If I were there making a house call, I would be looking at these 3 areas. Need answer to all 3? Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, after inspection there are droplets of water frozen to the back wall the freezer fan does not seem to be working

The compressor fan is running but it is very quiet and now the back part of the coils are cleaned

OK, need to have you remove contents of freezer and remove the back wall. If you have an icemaker, it needs to be removed first. After you get the back wall removed, look at the evaporator coils, are they jammed up with white frosty ice? Is the evaporator fan blade caught on anything? If it is, turn the frig. off and use a hair dryer to free the blade up and see if it will run. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok the back wall was removed. There is only marginal buildup on the top quarter (not a giant block of ice) of the coil. The fan in the freezer has free motion but is not turning
Hi again, there is a door switch on the breaker strip either left side or right side, push it in, does the fan come on? Also, being careful, put your hand on the compressor, is it running, is it warm or hot to the touch? Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The compressor is warm not hot where is the breaker? under the refridge or in the freezer? there looks like a breaker in the freezer on the top of the coil but it hasnt been triped

Hi, guess I wasn't plain enough, sorry. You are looking for a push-in door switch, to see if it activated the fan. Could be on the right side at the front, or the left.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The only push in door button is on the refrigerator compartment and it does not turn on the freezer fan
OK, in order for the frig. to cool correctly, this evaporator fan probably will need to be replaced. Part number:
W10189703 evaporator fan motor $30.49 available at sear parts and servicenters. Hope this helps and thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there is a part number on the fan motor housing is there a difference? otherwise Im happy with a $30 solution
Hi, the part number I gave you is off of the sears site. The number you have may change over. Take that number with you also. Thanks
Experience: 38 years in self-employed major appliance & refrigeration service. Have 2 licenses to do refrig.