Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag Skybox beverage cooler, (model MBV 1976AAB).

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Skybox beverage cooler, (model MBV 1976AAB). It was manufactured in 2004. prior to this current issue, I had to keep the thermostat down to prevent the cans from freezing/exploding due to hold cold it could get. Now, the unit is not cooling nearly to that potential. It still cools, and seems to be running properly, (no loud noises, etc) but, I still need to put ice in a drink to cool it down when that used to not be the case.

My concern is, "IS IT WORTH FIXING", and whom do I call?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is Bryan,I look forward to helping you today. lets get started.

a couple of things on this, one if its getting loud the compressor is failing or has basicly failed already. you cant even get the compressor any longer for this unfortunately and if you could you are looking at more money in labor and freon replacment along with the compressor cost you could replace the unit cheaper, besides the fact that no one wants to deal with repairs on these. hope this helps and saves you a lot of agravation, thanks Bryan