Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

My KitchenAid Automatic Washer model #KAWS700J is not oscillating

My KitchenAid Automatic Washer model #KAWS700J is not oscillating properly. It seems like it is not catching the mechanism that makes it turn properly. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

Do you hear a clicking or any noises?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think I heard a clicking once, but not now...
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
we are talking about the agitator correct? if so can you open the lid and grab the top and turn it both ways, need to know if it turns just one way or both?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, but I have clothes in the washer. It washes, but not as well as it used to. I just went in & held on to the agitator column towards the top & it stopped with no resistence. The bottom part still continued to agitate.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok then your problem is going to be the agitator dogs, this is a fairly simple repair you can do yourself, Below is a link to a video that will show you how plus a link to a supplier you can order the part.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. If you have no further questions please don't forget to hit the accept button since this is how I get paid for my time and effort.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike, Sorry I haven't responded. I had an appointment this afternoon. I was able to call an appliance center in my area who has the agitator dogs & he thinks they will fit the parts for the KitchenAid Washer. His store is about 30 miles away. I am trying to get the agitator apart to take the whole "cam" to his store just to make sure the dogs will fit. He doesn't have the whole repair kit & thinks it's not necessary to replace the whole thing. Do you think that will be OK? I am going to hit the accept button anyway, but just wondered if you had any thoughts on that. He acted like he knew what he was talking about. He said he has never replaced the whole unit, just the dogs.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Your washer is actually made by whirlpool, the dogs that are made 1 fit all whirlpool, roper, kitchen aid models so you don't need to worry about them fitting, also you wont need the cam kit since this really never wears out, just purchase generic whirlpool dogs and replace them as per the video. Then you will be all set :)