Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I am trying to clear the defrost drain on a GTS20ICNBWW. The

I am trying to clear the defrost drain on a GTS20ICNBWW. The fridge shows every indication of a clogged drain. I cannot see a drain in either the freezer of under the crisper. Do I have to remove the back panel? How?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I need to know how to remove the back panel. Does it merely snap into place? Where should I pry?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
That I couldn't say for certain without being there. There should be either screws that you remove or it should just unclip somehow.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, I knew the basics, but was uncertain about how to remove the panel. That is where I really needed the help. I don't want to start prying and break something.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
well it doesn't look like there are any screws going through this back panel so there should just be a few holes in the center vent area near the top or bottom that you can stick a flat head screwdriver through to pry down on the clips to release the back panel so that you can remove it.