Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have an older model Whirlpool oven with a self cleaning oven.

I have an older model Whirlpool oven with a self cleaning oven. While baking my child pushed the manual cleaning handle to the "clean" position and when I pushed it back to unlock position, the door would not open. After playing with it a little I was able to get the door open, but now the oven door will not close properly because the hook that the self cleaning handle uses to lock the door is not receded enough and the door hits on it. It's like the stove is in cleaning mode only the door is open. Nothing was bent or broke and no excessive force was used when I opened the door. Any ideas for getting the locking hook (not the handle that moves the hook, that works fine)to recede where it belongs?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.

Randy 43 :

Hi , a couple things you can try ..shut the breaker off for 3 min and then turn it back on ,see if it resets? also open the door push in the door switch and press the clean cycle again while holding the door switch ..if it starts to clean? then press the cancel button after 30--45 secs ..let me know

Customer:

Turning the power off for 3 minutes didn't work.

Randy 43 :

try the 2nd option

Customer:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say to "open the door push in the door switch".

Randy 43 :

on the latch is there a prong that you van push in? or look around the door frame for a switch?

Customer:

I got the door to close finally by just continuing to wiggle the latch.