Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a KitchenAid KSSS42QJX00 Refrigerator/Freezer. Yesterday

I have a KitchenAid KSSS42QJX00 Refrigerator/Freezer. Yesterday the ice dispenser stopped working. Nothing happens when the lever is depressed. Is there a reset button or do you have a suggestion?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Sorry for the delay I was looking at the diagrams for your model. Does water dispense? And can you hear any sounds when trying to get ice? What about if you switch the crush and cube switch is there noise then?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Water works. No sounds from ice maker. Switching from cubes to crush doesn't change results.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Give me just a few minutes.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Under the doors there remove the kick panel and check that wire connector there. Can you find wires that are corroded or broken? Be careful, you may want to unplug the refrigerator first.

Let me know,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Removed kickplate but could see no evidence of loose or corroded connections.
Ice maker is making cubes but still no response.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Open the freezer door and try pressing the door light switch by hand then press the dispenser for ice. Press that switch up as far as you can.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK I tried that but no results so I tried removing storage pan and looking for possible fixes, tried manually turning wing type lever that spins the dispenser. I then held light switch and held cup under and WALLAH! . . .it worked.
Thanx for your help. I think that somehow the driver shaft thing just got out of sync.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thats odd that it was making no sound, I was beginning to think the dispenser switch which almost never fails was bad. Save this page to your favorites just in case. You can return for 30 days. That should be plenty of time to find out if its going to give trouble or be ok.

You have a super nice 4TH.
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.